Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have a 2003 Sportsman 600 Twin. I was running it today for about 15 minutes pushing a little light snow. As I started backing up, it just shut down. The gas tank is full. I only use gas with no ethanol in it. When I try to start it now, it cranks over good, but will not run. I only got a little sputter out of it once, but nothing else. What would cause this? Possible bad fuel pump? If it is the fuel pump, how can I tell?

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Need to check for spark. Another option is to put a little fuel in the carb (or spark plug hole, then put plug back in). If it starts, then dies, you know it is a fuel problem.

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Did you try plugs? How did the old plugs look?

They had a problem with the ignition system in some models, but I have no idea what years or engine size that was.

Sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a new plug. When I would crank it over, it would spark with-in the first couple of seconds, and then nothing. When it did fire, it was only a faint spark. I am going to take the coil to a local repair shop and have them test it.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Need to replace complete Ign system, the Ducati system in those machines would just quit ,like yours, there is a kit, made by Kokusan , replaces everything, they are expensive, $475 or so but that is the fix the part # is 2202602

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ahhhh...there it is. This is the model that had the bad ignition system I was talking about...thanks Russ.

Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts