Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe someone could give me some pointers.About 9 days ago I did my typical oil change on my 99 SP500 using the Polaris PS-4 oil change kit which I'm always careful doing,washing any dirt off and around oil tank and blowing it off with compressed air as well as adding oil to the filter prior to installing,I started it up for a few minutes to warm up and rechecked oil level,all fine.Later that evening I started it up to pull it in my garage and had to shut it off for a second and when I went to restart it, the starter dragged but started,I drove it in the shop and started and stopped it many times and the starter would drag say 4 of every 10 starts.Here is what I've checked or replaced,new battery which the old one tested fine,new starter and new starter drive,checked all connections and did voltage drop test,bypassed starter switch at solenoid,removed drive belt to test,inspected cam lobes and decompression ball,replaced exhaust rocker due to the slight wear mark from decompression ball,checked timing marks several times,replaced decompression return spring on cam lever,rechanged oil and filter again using polaris oil/filter,rechecked valve lash several times,checked needle and seat,plug condition for over rich condition,replaced plug.I can go out and hit the starter switch when the engine is cold and it will fire up quick but if I shut it off and restart it the starter drags very slow but will start it,I can try this several times and it might start fine or it might drag.I did try pulling the plug wire with the engine cold and it spins over fine.When the engine warms up it will start fine no matter how many times it is restarted and the atv runs fine,just when it is cold.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts