Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 HO, when I try to start the engine it turns over normally but, if I depress the throttle any it stops cycling. Does any one know why pressing the throttle would make it stop cycling? I know that my speedometer is bad and I will be asking about how to get my 4wd to work later. Any help would be appreciated.

·
11,301 Posts
You need to start with a fresh and fully charged battery and go from there. Opening the throttle allows the engine to get a full charge of air creating more compression. That's why you use WOT when doing a compression check to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery was charged and when it cranks it spins very fast so, I do not think that is the issue. I can crank the engine and it will be spinning fast and when I squeeze the throttle it STOPS cranking. I would guess that would be electrical, but I have no clue. What would cause that????

·
Registered
900 Posts
My 2001 does the same thing except mine doesn't turn over fast at all even with a new battery. Pressing the throttle slows or stops the engine from turning over..... Polman's advice is accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did have a new battery and as I said it cranks just fine but when you touch the throtle it stops. I am in no way a mechanic but when you are turning the motor over, of that process 85% of it if not all is electrical is it not? I just want to get the problem fixed and it kills me not to know. Like I posted earlier my speedometer is shot and the 4wd does not work, as that is an eletrical issue would that have any bearing on it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Take the valve cover off and see if the valves are working. If the exhaust valve isn't opening then it will cause it to hydrologic and stop the rotation because the fuel can not escape. My 700 was doing the same thing and ended up being a flat lobe and colasped lifter. Yours may be as simple as the valve needs to be adjusted

·
Registered
117 Posts
Like I posted earlier my speedometer is shot and the 4wd does not work, as that is an eletrical issue would that have any bearing on it?
The 4wd works of a ground wire that comes out the awd switch on the handle bars down to thefront 3rd member and then comes back up and is grounded thru the speedometer. Find the wire , I believe it is brown (may be 2 sets on that year model ), and just run it to ground. Then your awd will work as soon as you flip the switch ,even in reverse you won't half to hit the override button

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question, if the bent, stuck or needed to be adjusted valve is the problem would it run. Mine does run but I have to turn it over for a real good while. To add another issue if the choke is pulled out it Jakes it harder to crank and if you pull it out while turning the motor over it will stop it as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How does it run when it does crank? Mine was missing bad under load but would rev up fine in neutral.would run for a while till it finely popped a couple times then quit. Then it wouldn't start back,and like you said if hit the throttle or the choak would stop cycling. I waited till the next morning went out changed plugs and it cranked up and ran for a short time and quit again. I tore it down after that.

Yours could just be not opening the ex valve enuf to let the gas and unburned fuel out while starting but once it fires the valve "floats" open enuf to run. I'd take the valve cover off and check your valve lash first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts