Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 450ho, utility sportsman. Is there a different engine temperature sensor ( lower temp) for when the radiator fan will turn on. I really don't like the 200 deg temp engagement. Huge temp swing, I would prefer a fan engagement, more around 185. Or has someone wired in a fan switch without hacking the harness!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Back in the days of the first generation Kawasaki liquid cooled Ninja's owners complained the engine was running hot - the fan didn't come on till the temp needle got into the red - the fan cycled on and off normally - the fix on those bikes was a resistor wired into the sending unit wire to the gauge that lowered the reading about 10 degrees. The coolant boils at about 223 degrees F - in a cooling system filled with 50/50 coolant and pressurized to 15 PSI, the boiling point of the coolant is raised to 265 degrees - 60/40 mix at 15 PSI boils at 270 - the boiling point of water rises 3 degrees for each pound pressure is increased.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Back in the days of the first generation Kawasaki liquid cooled Ninja's owners complained the engine was running hot - the fan didn't come on till the temp needle got into the red - the fan cycled on and off normally - the fix on those bikes was a resistor wired into the sending unit wire to the gauge that lowered the reading about 10 degrees. The coolant boils at about 223 degrees F - in a cooling system filled with 50/50 coolant and pressurized to 15 PSI, the boiling point of the coolant is raised to 265 degrees - 60/40 mix at 15 PSI boils at 270 - the boiling point of water rises 3 degrees for each pound pressure is increased.
So is it safe to say a cooling system that’s fan kick’s in at 199 and shut’s off at 185 is fine?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If it kicks on at 210 and off at 195 it's fine - as long as the coolant does not boil it's operating properly - the hotter it runs the more efficient it is - the ideal operating temperature is 225 degrees F (2 degrees lower than the temp 50/50 coolant will boil at when not under pressure) 60/40 coolant at atmospheric pressure boils at 232 degrees - maybe that's why Polaris recommends 60/40?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts