Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

So i was tiling some stuff the other day and i took a break and guess what the atv wont start. This is what i have done so far.
Checked battery, starter solenoid,Fuses, Wiring harnesses, Starter bendix. Fuel lines for fuel. Fixing to check fluid pressure as soon as i find a guage. However i dont believe thats an issue as squirting fuel into the spark plugs well doesnt seem to make it turn over.
Checked for spark and changed spark plugs as they appeared a little foul still no change.
I am not sure where to go from here.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Compression, fuel and air in the right amounts, spark and spark at the right time and you have a running engine - what don't you have?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I'm sorry but in my years of motorsports cranking results in the engine/motor turning over. So are you saying that the starter is cranking yet the motor is not turning over? If so it should be sounding like an electric motor running and the starter is not engaging on the crankshaft gear. It would more of a srarter gear problem then. Just my thoughts, and maybe it is my misunderstanding of what you are saying.

·
9,186 Posts
I'm sorry but in my years of motorsports cranking results in the engine/motor turning over. So are you saying that the starter is cranking yet the motor is not turning over? If so it should be sounding like an electric motor running and the starter is not engaging on the crankshaft gear. It would more of a srarter gear problem then. Just my thoughts, and maybe it is my misunderstanding of what you are saying.
I think he's saying its cranking/the engine is turning but it won't start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's correct so the starter engages and turns the fly wheel but the engine doesn't turn over/fire.
Checked for spark after removing the spark plugs and all looks good there. Fuel pressure at 40 psi. Will check compression today.

·
9,186 Posts
That's correct so the starter engages and turns the fly wheel but the engine doesn't turn over/fire.
Checked for spark after removing the spark plugs and all looks good there. Fuel pressure at 40 psi. Will check compression today.
Most folks use the phrase "doesn't turn over" to mean it won't crank. When the starter engages the flywheel and cranks the engine it turns over and over and over... but apparently yours doesn't ever actually start.
If you have spark and fuel pressure and it cranks good I'm not sure what else you'd check besides compression and timing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies yes it cranks but doesn't start. So checked the compression and 200 on one side and 180 on the other. The thing that baffles me is what would cause it to suddenly die. It was working fine while I was using it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does your 800 have one of those adjuster mechanisms in the throttle cable just down from the thumb lever? Can't say as I fully understand how it works but I understand it's some sort of safety device to prevent a stuck throttle and a runaway machine. On both my 2012 500 and 2016 570 I had a similar no start problem after shutting it off after running flawlessly. In both cases this mechanism came out of adjustment and once adjusted, back to starting and running flawlessly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts