Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on this stalling issue, I noticed at idle my engine has a slow wobble, you can watch it move 1/4” or so, slowly. Rev it and it turns to a vibration, not severe though. This normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Motor mounts are bad.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
No, it shouldn't be doing much rocking or vibrating when at idle..... I'd check the motor mounts. Is it running fine otherwise??

What Year / Model machine? Help us, help you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s a 2004 Sportsman 700 efi. Other than the stalling issue it seems to run fine. It’s almost like a bent clutch and the belt is pulling on the engine but I don’t think that’s it. And at idle, it’s not like it’s shaking, more like swaying? Everything seems solid when I pull the engine around by hand. I haven’t had the belt cover off to look there yet.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Your machine has four mounts so you may not necessarily be able to rock the engine by hand and tell they're bad. The machine is nearly 20yrs old I would say there is a high probability those mounts have seen better days.

·
8,728 Posts
On the twins like yours, its usually the front mount that the rubber part of the mount detaches from the metal base of the mount. Common issue.
You have to use a pry bar right beside the mount to lift the engine while looking closely to see it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll check tonight while I’m finishing up the wiring modifications. Thanks guys.

·
8,728 Posts
All the mounts seem to be intact. I'll get back once I get the belt cover off.
Those engines aren't super smooth and do vibrate a some. Unless its excessive it may just be normal. One thing that will cause an increase in the vibration is a belt with a burnt spot in it. It'll get even more noticeable on acceleration under load if that's the issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out, the belt is smoked. Previous owner installed a Polaris belt +/-500 miles ago, but the wrong belt. Ordered a Gates Gforce belt to replace it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Turns out, the belt is smoked. Previous owner installed a Polaris belt +/-500 miles ago, but the wrong belt. Ordered a Gates Gforce belt to replace it.

Thanks for the update. This helps us all learn potential failure modes. Glad it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
198 Posts
While working on this stalling issue, I noticed at idle my engine has a slow wobble, you can watch it move 1/4” or so, slowly. Rev it and it turns to a vibration, not severe though. This normal?

'
At idle the clutch is not in contact with the belt, the primary should be disengaged. Are you sure the is problem solved?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Positive. Not in gear the light tension spins the secondary, the belt had thin spots, essentially making the belt longer and shorter while moving through the clutches. It’s all better now

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll put up some pics next time I’m logged in not through Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts