Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2014 Ranger 900 browning edition. EPS light was on when I bought it so I knew it had problems already. I've read this forums advise on what to check, I've located the relays but it WILL NOT unplug to test or replace. ANY suggestions on how to free it will be greatly appreciated. Bought it from a young man who didn't do a very good job with maintenance. I just don't want to break off the relay plug if I can help it.

·
9,867 Posts
If its rusted in place about all you can do is get hold of it with pliers and wiggle, rock, push, pull to break it free. I'd have a new one in hand before messing with it much though. Also, if its corroded that bad I'd plan on pulling everything and clean up the whole block with a small wire brush and contact cleaner and then dielectric grease it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its rusted in place about all you can do is get hold of it with pliers and wiggle, rock, push, pull to break it free. I'd have a new one in hand before messing with it much though. Also, if its corroded that bad I'd plan on pulling everything and clean up the whole block with a small wire brush and contact cleaner and then dielectric grease it.
Thanks for the advice. I went to the Polaris dealership and had one in hand before I got really serious about getting it out. I was able to remove it and no corrosion. Replaced it but that didn't fix my problem (spare part bin). I also picked up an in line relay but haven't swapped it out yet. I have a relatively new battery (2019) and have it out on charge. I'll try that first. Now, my next question is this, how do I unscrew the connections from the relay? They hit each other. Is there some trick I'm missing?

·
9,867 Posts
Hmm, not sure on that. I'll see if I can find some info though.
Does the EPS still work but just the light on?
Have you tested the charging system/VR to make sure all is good there? Often one of the first signs of charging problems is the EPS light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only charged the battery, but I'll get after that this week. If all is well there and I can't figure out how to swap out the in line relay....to the dealer I go. I'm getting too old to wrestle this buggy around. I've found some other things that I don't want to tackle also so I'll get them to give it a good inspection and prioritize.

·
9,867 Posts
I'm a little confused. When you say "in line relay" are you talking about the 20 amp breaker #10 in the pic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I was told that this is a relay for the EPS. I actually looked at this same breakdown drawing and didn't see the breaker. Was I told wrong as to it's function?
This breaker has 2 screw on terminals. The threaded ends on the wiring attached to the breaker are in the way of each other because they're L shaped and have to be unscrewed. I'm just too ignorant to figure it out.

·
9,867 Posts
It should have plug in attachment ends. The breaker has threaded poles but the ones I've seen on RZRs just plug into the wire connectors inside the harness and then its wrapped to the main harness with electrical tape. I've had to change a couple on RZRs because they got moisture inside and corroded causing them to not function correctly but they controlled the cooling fan. Not sure about your machine.
One of them was rusted so bad I had to open up the wire loom to clip the wires back to fresh. I spliced in new wire to run the breaker up out of the mud and water and mounted it on the bulkhead panel up high behind the seat. It was originally on the main harness under the floor panel and under the seat where it stayed cover with mud and water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well hell, I may be chasing a ghost! Apparently I should think about changing my immediate source of information. I'll do some legitimate research, then chase the problem and not my tail. I thank you for helping me out and I'm sure I'll be looking for some advice in the coming months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts