Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

I just used my New ATV for plowing the snow. The EPS Warning Light came on a few times and I lost power steering. Just wondering if this is normal ? Also, it stalled out a few times. It started right back up but just checking if this is the Norm.

Thank you,
D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm gonna say weak battery due to the heavy use of the winch required during plowing.. That's just my 2cents.. Some of the more knowledgeable guys will be along shortly to help out I'm sure..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There's been chatter about how the stock battery just isn't very good.. Many folks have simply upgraded to a better unit.. Two years in with my 2014 I've only ever had a one problem with mine. I ran my lights for about 10 mins with the engine off while taking a break on a night ride a while back.. My eps light came on and I lost my eps for about 5 mins until I got the battery juiced back up.. I didn't panic as I knew that was likely what was going on.. Sure enough that was it..

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Yeah 9/10 times the battery is the culprit under the conditions you just described. Yes if the machine isn't going on long rides and its in the cold doing a lot of plowing I would put the battery on a float charger.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The winch operation is using more power than the stator can put into the battery.
You need a 30ah battery, think more capacity.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I believe 18.9ah is factory

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You will have to research that........there was a spacer that was installed in my 550.

·
Registered
147 Posts
some guys switch to led lights to help out, also plow in low range to increase rpm witch helps charge the batt quicker. adding a battery tender is also a big help being alot of people dont USE there atv. it goes from starting in the garage to plowing. The batt does not get a good time to fully charge up. Also alot of dealer ships are lazy. They are required to trickle charge the batt before delivery. Most do not. your battery will last alot longer is you do this ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The battery is really hard to get to trickle charge. Does anyone have any tips to charge the battery? I was thinking of putting some permanent lead onto the battery making it easier to charge.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I installed a Battery Tender. The leads connect directly to the battery, there is a quick disconnect near the winch. Plug the unit into the wall, then connect at the machine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts