Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. Ive been looking through a lots of posts, and Ive found a lot of useful information here. Great forum!

I have a 2011 model 850 xp with eps, and Ive always wondered if the eps on my machine functions properly. While driving I can feel that it is working, but while standing still it will only work for a couple of centimeters before it stops. I just read a review that states that they could move the steering while stationary with one finger. Is this how it is supposed to work??

·
Registered
575 Posts
If your on soft terrain the tires dig in, and it will feel like it's not working, is this what your noticing?

·
Registered
434 Posts
You should be able to easily turn the bars while stationary. The EPS gives more assist at slower speeds and stopped. The only time I felt like mine wasn't working was when I had a fully flat tire. That was enough resistance to hinder the power steering effect.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Like Sean said, if you're sinking into mud or soft sand that would be noticeable too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answers!

Actually it stops when it stands on the concrete floor of my garage. Maybe I should take this up with the dealer then..

·
Registered
575 Posts
With it sitting in your garage, see how it steers, then remove the 30 amp eps fuse under front rack, see if you notice a difference

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
after a certain period of time sitting still, the pump shuts itself off until the steering is turned hard then the system restarts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke with my stealer today, and he told me that eps was supposed to be like this. When stationary they had disabled eps on the newer programming. So that is solved.

However a new problem has arrived. The EPS light comes on from time to time, and EPS turns off. This is when driving, and I can´t see any pattern to it. It happens when riding i different speeds. I stopped once, and put the gear in P and then it went away. Could be coincidence, I don´t know. Anyone know what to look for?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I would go through all the connections and make sure they are dry and corrosion free and add some dielectric grease before putting the connection back together and see if that fixes the issue. I would also make sure the wires are all in good shape too. my thought is it's a short or a bad connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could it be a weak battery causing the problems. It might not have enough juice when idling to work correctly. I believe some have said the power steering is one of the first systems to have problems when a battery is going bad or weak. It does use a lot of juice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I´ll have to go throug the connections and get som grease then. :)

I just put in a new battery, 3.0ah, so there should be enough juice. Had problems because of new hand warmers.

Edit: 30ah battery, not 3.0ah :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have found the problem. I measured the voltage when idle, at first it measured 12,5V. Then I reved the engine and it went up to 17V!! I called my dealer, and he said that it probably was the regulator that was malfunctioning. This would cause several systems to work properly. I got a spare regulator, will be testing it tomorrow. Hope nothing more is broken :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have heard that the regulators could cause an issue with the eps. That most likely is your problem then. Hope it fixes it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts