Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I already know the answer to this but I'm gonna ask y'all anyway. I just bought a 2013 850 XP. Being that it's fuel injected, would running gas with ehtanol in it affect it? I tend to think that running non ethanol would be better for the engine in the long run. What's y'alls .02??

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ethanol gas will be fine, BUT if you have the choice, I'd run non ethanol and avoid any of the problems associated with ethanol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ethanol has its place, but its not in ATVs. By nature its hard on rubber like gaskets, orings and hoses. Also it is prone to retaining moisture, and since the gas in your ATV isn't burned off as fast as in say a car it can cause issues with water build up. Some say it also leads to hard starting in small engines too.

If you have to run it don't go over e10, any more and your asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Run at most 10% ethanol and if you can put a couple oz. of sea foam with each tank. Non ethanol unleaded is getting hard to find so using an additive is about your only choice unless you find a local station without it. All airports that sell mo-gas is ethanol free so that is a potential option.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think most gaskets, hoses, orings and such are ethanol compatible these days. Always treat the gas with something like Seafoam or alike. But yes, don't go over E10.... But I seen tests where they went to several chain gas stations where pumps were marked "E10" and when samples were tested some were as high as 15-20%.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Run at most 10% ethanol and if you can put a couple oz. of sea foam with each tank. Non ethanol unleaded is getting hard to find so using an additive is about your only choice unless you find a local station without it. All airports that sell mo-gas is ethanol free so that is a potential option.
Be careful with airport gas, as most I'm pretty sure is oxygenated. You can try a local drag racing track. I know most around here sells high octane Sonoco, which I don't think contains Ethanol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Be careful with airport gas, as most I'm pretty sure is oxygenated. You can try a local drag racing track. I know most around here sells high octane Sonoco, which I don't think contains Ethanol.
Or leaded lol. both not good for us.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Like others have said, treat your gas. I've had great luck using Star-Tron in my gas, for both two and for stroke engines. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went on pure-gas.org and printed out a list of ethanol free gas stations in my area. I will also look into getting some Star-Tron and/or Seafoam.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Unleaded mogas at airports are not oxyengenated. Many planes can get an stc to run auto fuel but it's ethnonol free as the majority of aircraft engines are not modern and would be very suceptable to the ethanol. Airport gas would be the best quality so why be careful? I fly these planes and would not put my ass on the line for a lesser fuel.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Or leaded lol. both not good for us.
No you would want to buy unleaded at the airport and that would be standard unleaded without ethanol. Or you could run some 100 LL at $5 a gallo or 80 octane but good luck with that! Might even try some Jet A to run your kerosene heater or diesel ATV! :hmmm:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Unleaded mogas at airports are not oxyengenated. Many planes can get an stc to run auto fuel but it's ethnonol free as the majority of aircraft engines are not modern and would be very suceptable to the ethanol. Airport gas would be the best quality so why be careful? I fly these planes and would not put my ass on the line for a lesser fuel.
I'm sure the quality is good. I was actually just unsure if it was oxygenated or not. In all honesty, besides AV gas being ethanol free, in these low performance ATV's , there's really no advantage to running it anyway. Unless if course people feel good spending $5+ a gallon lol

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Buy ethenol-free fuel or add Star Tron............what could be simpler?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Buy ethenol-free fuel or add Star Tron............what could be simpler?
Star Tron huh? I will look into that.....i have been running seafoam with good results but only have 180 hours and about 1000 miles so that doesn't really talk longevity. I know one thing! It was about 15 degrees last night, it started on the first crank like it was summer and I pushed show and pulled three kids in my hunting sled for an hour and the machine purrs like a kitten. I would have to say pushing snow is right up there on the top 10 list of fun things to do. The 850 will push just about anything in its path. I just angle the blade and run down all the sidewalks in my neighborhood and I do mean "hood". Most people are appreciative and those that are not I just plow with the snow. I'm suprised more municipalities don't use ATV's to clear snow from sidewalks and such where trucks are just too big. Anyone every hooked a blower up to an ATV?

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Basically all you can buy in Colorado is 10% ethanol, so that is all I have run through my machines. I do not use any additives and have had absolutely no fuel related issues. These engines are designed and built to run this fuel through them. I also ride fairly regularly, and don't put them in storage. They have on occasion sat for a month without issue. To the OP, I wouldn't go out of my way to try and buy ethanol free gas and I wouldn't worry about spending the extra money on additives unless you plan on storing it for a long duration.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ya it was kind of a joke because avgas is about the only leaded gas you can get.
Sorry, didn't sense your tinge of humor. lol...the funny thing about Avgas is that everything thinks is so special and it really old technolgy. Jet-A is bascially kerosene and 100LL and 80 are built for the old tech engines. I ran a lot of experimentals so I could run regular unleaded auto gas but I always bought it on field due to lack of ethanol. If I remember right I had an STC for my Piper TriPacer so I ran autofuel through that and about every 4th tank I would run 100LL for good measure. It's been a while ago so I can't remember for sure.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts