Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went riding yesterday - ('12 Orange 850 ESP). When I was unstrapping I noticed one of my Sway Bar End Links was bent like a dog's back leg!
I would THINK I'd have known exactly when this happened but I can't remember hitting anything hard enough to do this. I took a BIG hit to bend that link!

Took it off and got it VERY straight without heat just by little taps with a BFH & a vice. The other side is perfectly straight.

Painted it and its good as new (which, apparently, ISN'T all that good)

Just thought I'd share this - Not a hater - Like the machine a lot!

JS

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Probably got a stick or something wedged in there.

seabee78

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have my links disconnected at the control arms and rotated up, under the fenders.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

Seabee - I cannot see how a stick could get in there and push that LONG rod from front to back. When my buddies saw it (several engineers) some of them thought a rock got in there and did it - BUT the paint on the link rod was totally unmolested. Not a scratch! But, as you'll see - anything's possible.

DrMatt - I will NEVER take that off my ATV - I used to have a Kawi Brute Force 650 with a solid Rear Axel - AND LOVED IT! I like to steer with the throttle. IMHO there is nothing safer! Some of the early IRS buggies were downright dangerous - especially in off-camber stuff. I ride Hatfield / McCoy A LOT and, after talking to rangers there, most of the BAD crashes were due to IRS and scary terrain. If you have IRS you MUST HAVE a rear anti sway bar - (or yer gonna get hurt)
BUT...
Here's what a stick can do. This happened to my Jet Ski trailer. I didn't even know till the next day. Pretty crazy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Are you bottoming out the shock? maybe increase the shock spring for the slide throttle maneuvers, maybe that will lesson the pressure on the links.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That damage was not from a stick,........you bottomed out somehow. Very hard and abruptly!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hard to tell what direction the bend is from the picture. On an older machine, I bent the swaybar when I severely jack knifed a yard trailer. Is this a possibility?

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Seabee - I cannot see how a stick could get in there and push that LONG rod from front to back. When my buddies saw it (several engineers) some of them thought a rock got in there and did it - BUT the paint on the link rod was totally unmolested. Not a scratch! But, as you'll see - anything's possible.

DrMatt - I will NEVER take that off my ATV - I used to have a Kawi Brute Force 650 with a solid Rear Axel - AND LOVED IT! I like to steer with the throttle. IMHO there is nothing safer! Some of the early IRS buggies were downright dangerous - especially in off-camber stuff. I ride Hatfield / McCoy A LOT and, after talking to rangers there, most of the BAD crashes were due to IRS and scary terrain. If you have IRS you MUST HAVE a rear anti sway bar - (or yer gonna get hurt)BUT...
Here's what a stick can do. This happened to my Jet Ski trailer. I didn't even know till the next day. Pretty crazy!!
I used to believe that as well, about "having" to have a sway bar on IRS, but have found that to be not true. After disconnecting mine about a year ago, and having ridden some of the toughest terrain you will ever find, I have found that it is not a must have. The atv is actually more stable in most conditions. Not all, but most. There is a learning curve since it changes the handling, but for me it is an improvement overall.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I disagree about needing the sway bar. I don't really ride on gently rolling hills like you find in the Appalchians, LOL. Here in Alaska we have big, steep mountains and do some serious off camber steep riding. My 850 is so much more stable with no sway bar than my sons solid axle bike there is no comparison.

·
11,906 Posts
Quote: "gently rolling hills like you find in the Appalchians"

Apparently you've never been to the same part of the Appalachians I ride in. There's nothing "gentle" or "rolling" about most of the trails I ride on.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I agree with Bob' and DrMatt........my machine is a lot more sure footed with the rear bar disconnected. Greater traction on the loose flint rock here, all tires stay on the ground longer.

The thing to remember, is everyone rides differently! Needs and wants are different. What is good for me, may not be for Alex, John, or Bill. I had mine completely removed, I resign stalled it, but left the links disconnected and safety wired the bar up out of the way. That way, I can reconnect it in a few mins if I need to. (took that idea from what Bobx2 did,......thanks Bob!)

If ya ride like ya have a bottle rocket up your backside and you will want the bar connected.

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Quote: "gently rolling hills like you find in the Appalchians"

Apparently you've never been to the same part of the Appalachians I ride in. There's nothing "gentle" or "rolling" about most of the trails I ride on.
Pretty sure that comment was made in jest. We all understand that you don't have any REAL mountains back east........ :biglaugh:

Just havin' a little fun with ya.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That damage was not from a stick,........you bottomed out somehow. Very hard and abruptly!
I kinda think this is what happened but why only one side and why didn't it launch my fatass like a skyrocket?!

I'm gonna have to think about all the comments on Sway Bars. The ONLY reason I bought an IRS ATV (the 850 XP) was BECAUSE of the sway bar. We ride some tight, rocky woods trails in Central PA. I guess I could unhook it for a day to see if it makes all that much difference but I have a feeling I know the answer - like was stated earlier... it depends on how you ride.
Might just try it. Only takes a minute to re-connect it and I carry tools.
Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
A friend of mine bent his. He jumped the bike off of a small pile of gravel and landed on his right side rear tire first, causing the link to bend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts