Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy… you may remember me from previous posts such as “3rd fuel pump is the charm” and “Don’t purchase an ATV while drunk”
Background: 2015 Sportsman 570 EPS Camo. Always stored in a cargo trailer. Never rain exposed.
Anyways, after the 3rd fuel pump change, I started to smell excessive fuel fumes while running the ATV. The fumes seemed to increase each weekend visit and the last weekend it was too much and I felt stupid riding it around just accepting the fact the ATV would burst into flames and I’d be lucky to escape with my covid-19 protest beard smoldering.
Before loading it up for haul home couple hunting guys who were smarter than me and owned Hondas inspected the ATV and couldn’t find any leaks. They all agreed the fumes were coming from the engine area/under the seat, and not from the exhaust.
Well, bring in my ex-favorite Polaris service dealer, I drop it off there say solve this fuel smell problem. 7 days later I get a call “The problem here is there is excessive water in your fuel, causing the ATV to run rich.”
So as a private pilot I understand “run rich” but the fuel smell is not coming from the exhaust.
Their solution is a complete fuel flush including replacing the fuel filter for just under $300.
I’m picking it up tomorrow. Anyone have this problem or am I being taken for a ride?
Going forward we will find fuel without ethanol… but what a PITFA… Of course my buddies with the Hondas are on their first fuel pump with no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Condensation!! Make sure if you're not running it for any length of time top the fuel off. Plus run a fuel treatments that combats ethonal, improves efficiency, boosts performance, and extends the fuels shelf life. I use AMSOIL Hotshot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How was the bike running?
ATV running fine. No sputtering, no backfires.

Timeline: April 30 from prior rides the fumes were very strong. Siphoned the tank dry. Added fresh super fuel (ethanol yes)
May 30 tank still 90% full so no action. Fuel smell very concerning.
June 30 fuel odor makes me want to wear a firesuit while riding. I bring it in for service.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve also heard excessive water will damage fuel injectors!
I guess I need to pay more attention to fuel status. But now I am the butt of all campfire jokes because I bought a Polaris instead of a Honda.

And to add injury to insult, when I attempted to trade the 570 in for a new Honda they only offered me $1200 trade in allowance.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I guess I need to pay more attention to fuel status. But now I am the butt of all campfire jokes because I bought a Polaris instead of a Honda.

And to add injury to insult, when I attempted to trade the 570 in for a new Honda they only offered me $1200 trade in allowance.

No doubt who’s “butt” feels better after a long ride though!

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
290 Posts
I also vote BS on water in fuel. I assume you checked all hoses and air box for gas vapor smell? Is the smell the same with full or low fuel tank?

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Is there gasoline in the motor oil?? That would explain the gas under the seat smell.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No fuel odor in air filter compartment.
Idk about fuel in motor oil, I'm picking it up today I'll ask them to check.

Unit runs ok, doesn't sputter.

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
You would see it/smell it in the motor oil. first thing that comes to mind for the smell under the seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up unit, no gas in oil, no more fuel smell. I guess everyone else will use the fuel at deer camp and I will have to find ethanol free fuel somewhere. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Good luck Nick!!

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
290 Posts
I drive 76 miles round trip, every other Sunday to buy Pure Gas, and pay .30cents more per gallon, and it’s SO worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds to me like the seal around the top of your tank that seals the fuel pump may have been loose. That would explain the smell under the seat and would also explain the water in the fuel (most likely from cleaning the bike). Ethanol fuel is best avoided but not likely to have caused the symptoms you described. Except for the running rich part (water will not create this condition) the dealers diagnosis and fix is correct and by tightening down the fuel pump properly your problem has been sorted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
We use HEET to absorb the water in gas to keep the fuel line from freezing in the winter. HEET is mostly Ethanol. Water and ethanol are heaver than gas and go to the bottom of the tank. The ethanol absorbs the water and vaporizes the water in the combustion process. So in this case fuel with ethanol is better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts