Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sounds to me like the seal around the top of your tank that seals the fuel pump may have been loose. That would explain the smell under the seat and would also explain the water in the fuel (most likely from cleaning the bike). Ethanol fuel is best avoided but not likely to have caused the symptoms you described. Except for the running rich part (water will not create this condition) the dealers diagnosis and fix is correct and by tightening down the fuel pump your problem has been sorted.
Where does it say in this thread “ the dealers diagnosis and fix is correct and by tightening down the fuel pump”? Does sound plausible though, especially since he’s on his 3rd fuel pump!

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Anyways, after the 3rd fuel pump change, I started to smell excessive fuel fumes while running the ATV"
“The problem here is there is excessive water in your fuel, causing the ATV to run rich.” (both from original post)

So there's a fuel smell under the seat after a fuel pump change, dealer inspects and finds water in the fuel, gives the tank a flush, fits new filter and refits pump and problem is no longer there.
Seems likely there was either a poorly fitted seal or no seal at all where pump fits into top of tank and dealer has refitted correctly this time to resolve problem

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
"

So there's a fuel smell under the seat after a fuel pump change, dealer inspects and finds water in the fuel, gives the tank a flush, fits new filter and refits pump and problem is no longer there.
Seems likely there was either a poorly fitted seal or no seal at all where pump fits into top of tank and dealer has refitted correctly this time to resolve problem
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not familiar with where the fuel filter is nor the fuel pump assembly. It's definitely possible the service dealer fixed the seal or whatever and hit me up with a $300 fuel flush to cover the expenses and their overhead. Oh, and a mechanic got some billable hours. Not necessarily avert to that.

It could be bad gas, our lawnmower seemed to be struggling ( speed up then slow down, repeat). I'll find out this weekend when I bring fresh non ethanol gas to deer camp.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts