Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the prop shaft from front diff by knocking out the pin slid it back and pulled it out forward as i saw in many videos which i am grateful for people who shared them. The splines on the rear drive shaft and the U-joint that slides on the rear drive shaft are worn slightly causing a knocking sound when riding due to excessive play. I was thinking that i can drill and tap each side of U joint put set screws in each side to center the U joint on the shaft removing the play. I really have nothing to lose because if it fails i will have to replace the U joint and rear drive shaft which would be the perfect fix anyways but more costly. I saw someone do this with a front U joint in a video. Has anyone else tried this and can you advise if it will work or can anyone advise me on another possible fix . I am new to the ATV world trying to fix my first one so i can actually enjoy it .Buyer beware or know what to look for when you purchase was my mistake. I am learning. Otherwise this Polaris works great has too many different fluids for my liking but i figured out what goes where . 20200508_005302.jpg 20200508_005316.jpg 20200508_005333.jpg
Thanks for any suggestion or advise in advance. The first picture is the closest U Joint i want to drill and tap to slide onto rear drive shaft.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The real fix is to replace that yoke. By installing set screws, you're going to cause the transfer of torque to go from the splines (where it should be) to the set screws. They won't last long and will damage the male splines the shaft is mated to. You won't be able to accurately "center" the yoke either, and that will go away the first time you ride it. Splined yokes that have set screws usually mate to shafts that have a provision for the set screw. You're going to go through a lot of effort for no gain....I'd see about getting a new yoke and install it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't do it. The real fix is to replace that yoke. By installing set screws, you're going to cause the transfer of torque to go from the splines (where it should be) to the set screws. They won't last long and will damage the male splines the shaft is mated to. You won't be able to accurately "center" the yoke either, and that will go away the first time you ride it. Splined yokes that have set screws usually mate to shafts that have a provision for the set screw. You're going to go through a lot of effort for no gain....I'd see about getting a new yoke and install it.
Well it turns out it's further back in the main drive now. Here I go taking more of it apart. I have a louder knocking sound from the back without prop shaft in. I really don't know what it could be yet. (Bearings, gears)The knocking is throughout large casing for main drive. Possibly big problems ahead I think. I'll update or maybe you have heard of this before. If you know of a place to start i would really appreciate your input. Thanks for your first reply that makes sense what you said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the noise I'm getting it's definitely coming from the back anybody have an idea wgere I should start looking.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's very hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from because the knocking goes through the entire back. I'm going to check the axles and CV joints today. I'll update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I found after taking off the bottom panel of the rear drive that goes to the prop for the front drive. Now I'm trying to figure out how I get that gear off that shaft. Does anybody know is it a pin is it threaded on so it turns and keeps a tight? If somebody can give me a little Direction it would be much appreciated again at least I know where my issue is.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bearing is very good on the shaft this gear is on. Easy to turn and smooth. I haven't really checked in further . I've been trying to see where I could possibly get parts without paying a fortune. I will go a little deeper into it today going to drop by the local ATV shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much i had a seen a couple for sale but not as many as the link you sent and better prices as well. Ill update when i receive and install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your help guys i ended up selling it to a guy who has lots of spare Polaris parts. I am now working on a 2009 Kodiak hasn't been run in 3 years servicing for a friend . I know this a polaris forum but i thought i would share the pic of inside carb . Have you ever seen moldy fuel. I think I'm going to try and pick one up Yamaha or Honda for myself now. Much easier here where I am to find Yamaha and Honda parts new or old.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts