Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if anyone has ever used/installed the Exhaust heat shield from an 08 or newer model on an 06-07 Sportsman? It appears that in 08 Polaris started using a larger heat shield. I imagine it would fit on my 07, but figured I would ask to see if anyone has tried this.

I would be replacing part # 17 at the following link.
Part # 5248727
Shield, Heat, Exhaust
2007   SPORTSMAN-500-EFI   A07MH50AB-AL-AQ-AX-AY-AZ-  |  EXHAUST-SYSTEM   A07MH50AB-AL-AQ-AX-AY-AZ-MN50AF-AN-AT-AY

with part # 22 at this link.
Part # 5251237
Shield, Exhaust, Outer
2008   SPORTSMAN-500-HO-EFI   A08MN50AF  |  ENGINE--EXHAUST   A08MN50AF-AN-AQ-AR-AS-AT-AW-AX

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: I have ordered a used part I found cheap. I will post up the results when I get it.

I also see several threads where people used heat wrap on the exhaust. I do have some leftover heat wrap from when I wrapped the exhaust on my wife's motorcycle. I may give that a shot too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I received and installed the 08 Sportsman heat shield today. I did have to drill two small holes in the frame and used metal screws to mount the heat shield. I did not have to remove the much smaller heat shield that was already on the exhaust. It looks like it should do a much better job than the original.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more picture so you can see how small the little heat shield for the 07 model is. You can see it about halfway up the exhaust. It is so small I am not really sure what purpose it serves. It is still there now, just hidden under the much bigger one.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice job, I have been thinking about doing this as well on my 06 500 efi. How long did it take you? This will help with the heat under the body & seat, what about your right calf? That is what gets so hot on mine, I would love to cover that too...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice job, I have been thinking about doing this as well on my 06 500 efi. How long did it take you? This will help with the heat under the body & seat, what about your right calf? That is what gets so hot on mine, I would love to cover that too...
Well, I was doing several different things to the wheeler while I had the plastics off. Hard to say how long it took me, but it could be probably be done in a few hours depending on how quickly you work. I haven't ridden it since putting on the new shield so I cant really comment on what difference it will make. To me its worth giving a shot because it is cheap and looks like it came from Polaris that way. I found mine on eBay for $25 shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts