Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Balkamp Heat Wrap from NAPA on my Camo 570 but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Can I install the DEI wrap over it or should I remove the Balkamp. Open to any suggestions. Also, since the engine kicks out a lot of heat and the gas tank is directly above the engine, is there a self adhesive heat reflector material to add to the underside of the gas tank.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Go over to the 570 board. Several discussions going on about this. I personally used the DEI wrap. It helped but it's not a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 500, but know the exhaust issues are apparent on numerous models. I had gotten mine ceramic coated which has helped tons. Riding with shorts/sandals the heat is hardly noticeable.

I don't know if you have anyone in your area that can do these coatings, but I would suggest looking into it.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
I have a 500, but know the exhaust issues are apparent on numerous models. I had gotten mine ceramic coated which has helped tons. Riding with shorts/sandals the heat is hardly noticeable.

I don't know if you have anyone in your area that can do these coatings, but I would suggest looking into it.
Sco I read ur other thread and looked at ur sig and saw u coated the exhaust. Is that some type of ceramic coating? How much did ur particular coating cost? How much of the exhaust system was coated? Finally was it worth it? Thanx.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did the whole thing, there are 3 total coatings used here.

It was worth it. I work for a coating company so it is one of the perks. I can ask and see what we would charge to do the same thing for your exhaust if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

Riding in shorts and sandals? I can't believe that got posted. Probably no helmet as well?

·
Registered
118 Posts

Riding in shorts and sandals? I can't believe that got posted. Probably no helmet as well?
Backwards baseball cap, 3 kids on the back, so drunk I can hardly walk as well.:rotflmao:

I went down the road and back, nothing off-road or technical. Settle down.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

Backwards baseball cap, 3 kids on the back, so drunk I can hardly walk as well.:rotflmao:

I went down the road and back, nothing off-road or technical. Settle down.
Cheaper than buying 4 quads. We should ride together. Then we can hold each others beer while we do "watch this I gotta try something"?

·
Registered
118 Posts
LOL, sure :)

It is actually on my list to find a brain bucket before I hit any trails. Problem is finding one eye glass friendly :(

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Thanx sco I'll think about it. My exhaust is pretty pitted and caked and wonder how that would effect the application? I would be interested in the price, I guess that would help make up my mind. Also what would the turn around time be?

As for helmets look into snowmobile type helmets with flip visors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The material is blasted so as long as there are no thin spots that would blow through you should be fine.

I'll check those.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm interested as well. Did you also coat the muffler? I know the plastic fender over the muffler gets pretty damn hot. Its very uncomfortable to my wife when she rides.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Everything was coated. Still trying to get a price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ballpark $200-$250.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
LOL, sure :)

It is actually on my list to find a brain bucket before I hit any trails. Problem is finding one eye glass friendly :(
The AFX FX-39 is the best helmet and is eyeglass friendly. Its a dual sport so the windshield flips up and down so you don't need goggles.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Thanx for following up so quickly sco. My plan around the thanksgiving to Christmas holiday is to do some clutch maintenance and universals on my prop shaft so when I have the bike down I could pull the exhaust and send it out. Thanx again.

Oh one more ?, like I was saying the exhaust has baked on mud so to what degree would I need to clean it or do I just pull it off and send it out?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
how much room do you have between the exhaust (the part that is causing the heat issue) and the frame or plastics on the ATV? If you have a bit of room then I would suggest wrapping the exaust with a thermal blanket / paper then surround the blanket with thermal tape to secure.

The thermal blanket or paper (about 1/8" thick) is good up to like 2200 degrees so that should give you the protection against the heat transfer. Morgan PLC / Thermal Ceramics makes this product. Another option might be welders blanket as a base surrounded by thermal tape. Just reflective heat tape won't make that big of difference.

I'm suprised that a ceramic coating will make the exhaust cooler as ceramics transfer heat quite well but those that have had it done should know. My experience with ceramic coatings just keep the exhaust from rusting and make it look nice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Knock off heavy debris, you'll have to send it or bring it to me. Ceramics can spread the heat out , and keep it in. Check out the wild cat, no heat shields, looks nice. Rzr heat shields, looks like poo.

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
With my half an engineering degree and one thermodynamics class I was thinking the ceramic coating would dissipate the heat in an more even manor. Basically not collect in that one 180 deg bend.

Thanks for the heads up kemblkr.

Sco as I think of the coating (will do but haven't done my homework on it) how will it hold up to getting submerged in an ice cold Creek crossing in the dead of winter? Basically I'm just wondering what down side it may have.

The heat on my bike is there it isn't a major issue. A lot of guys are wrapping their exhausts. I would like to try something more permanent and different.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got similar materials on the headers in my f150. They see 1200-1300ish egts without issue. Truck is driven year round through puddles snow drifts, and even the ditch. We have yet to have any reports of coating fractures or porosity.

The first coat in the exhaust above and on my headers is a barrier coating. The silver ceramic is very rich in aluminum which is where the chrome like appearance comes from. Some ceramics are also used for abrasion resistance, so not just heat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts