Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to replace the old rusty exhaust pipe on my 05 Sportsman 500. I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to break off the rusty bolts holding the rusty pipe to the manifold. Has anyone done this? Is there anything I need to do before trying to remove the bolts, lubricant etc?

Thanks

BRR

·
Registered
143 Posts
I came across a similar scenario on a car engine a while back, I broke the first exhaust bolt and then got out the can of PB Blaster. What worked for me was spraying everything in the morning and the evening for 3 days. Once you start backing the bolt out, spray some more PB Blaster and it will get further down the threads, patience is key here. If that doesn't work for you try applying heat. If you do break a bolt, drilling and tapping fresh threads isn't a bad deal either

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If you're no going aftermarket and there aren't any other problems with your stock pipe, have you considered painting it? A few members have done it with great success.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I removed mine about a month ago. I just spayed the bolts and springs down with some WD40. They came off very easily. I then sanded the pipe and the muffler, cleaned it all up and then used some "header" spray paint and it looks great. Hasn't come off and looks like a new muffler.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I completely removed all the paint on my muffler. it got all colorful from heat and no mud sticks to it. IDK about long term rust or anything.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Clean it as good as you can. Wire brush any build up of crud off the bolts and spray with what ever you get for a thread loosener. I have Liquid Wrench and Kroil. Mine is a 2002 and they didn't give me any problems. I re-painted the pipe and muffler and it still looks good 2 years later.
Get one of those spring tools for removing the springs. They have them at most places you buy tools. Harbor Freight, NAPA, etc. It's the T shaped one in the pic, I tried using my brake tool for autos but it was too big and the smaller one fits in there much better.
High Heat black paint works great. I put on 3 coats.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts