Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally decided to wrap the headers on my 2007 800. I've already built a heat shield and that helped a little but when riding a couple of days ago I steam burned my leg and my wife's leg. I've had enough. I 1st thought about doing a ceramic coating but after talking to a couple of companies they suggested I tried the wrap 1st. They said that it blocks more heat than a coating just kinda a pain in the ass to wrap. I'm not worried about the exhaust rusting, I don't put the 4 wheeler up when its still wet. Ill just ride it to make sure everything is dry 1st. My question is what wrap is everyone using. I've heard the titanium wrap is the way to go with the spray coating. Should I get 1inch wrap or 2 inch? How long do I need to wrap the header? 15 feet? 25 feet?

·
Registered
978 Posts
dont have a direct answer for ya but wrap on my motorcycle wasnt that much of a improvment. It was better then with out it but still pretty dang warm

·
Registered
15 Posts
06 800 13000kms . I have had mine wrapped for 3 years. Buy 2" usually a 50 ft. Roll overlap it 1/2 way and use hose clamps to start and Finnish. It does help. I also installed a small used fan from a motorcycle I front of the fuel filter with switch opposite the one on the pod. When running slow in the bush it moves a lot of that heat out. Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
People say to use the titanium wrap, should I still soak it 1st and use the silicone spray after I wrap it? DEIs website says that with the titanium wrap you dont have to do either. 50 ft for that small header? Do you think 35 ft would work?

·
Registered
275 Posts
My ride is just a 400, I have the HSP complete exhaust with the ceramic coating. Was still hot when I was mowing. I decided to use the exhaust wrap. It helped to bring the temp to a bearable range. At least didn't blister the leg...lol This past year I adjusted the carburetor. With the wrap, adjusted carburetor and I added a baffle in the HSP muffler it was nice mowing and not burning the legs. I'm sure your 800 puts out more heat. My suggestion sense it's not my money...lol Make sure your fuel mixture is right,adjust carb or programmer, than add the wrap to help even more. Other than helping with the rust I find that the ceramic coating is just a extra cost. I do have ceramic coated headers on my pickup also. They may cut down on the heat,only my butt thermometer has a hard time telling the difference from 300 to 500 degrees. Oh, the ceramic does look cool,nice shade of gray...lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used titanium thats going on two years without spray protection will no issues. Iv also tryed standard fiberglass which lasted maybe four months don't bother

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill look into getting the program changed no carb to adjust lol. Do you think I really need 50 ft or should 35 ft do the job?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts