Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2021 Sportsman 850 for almost 2 months now. I came with a 6 month warranty and they tried to sell me a extended warranty for 5 years for around $1500. I passed but they said I could extend the warranty through Polaris within 6 months. This is the first ATV I have owned. Is an extended warranty on an ATV a good idea? Are there other 3rd party options for warranties that are better?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,492 Posts
Take that $1,500 put it in the bank let it collect interest and you'll have more money left at the end of 5 years than you would if you would have gave it to Polaris and do your own repairs as necessary as they come along.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Is an extended warranty on an ATV a good idea? Are there other 3rd party options for warranties that are better?
NO! ATV dealers should not be selling insurance - put the $1500 aside and us it to pay for required maintenance then buy a full coverage vehicle insurance policy to cover the damages the 'EXTENDED WARRANTY' won't cover anyway. Depending on how and where you use the vehicle and how long you keep it, that $1500 will cover most required scheduled maintenance. If you are a snowflake who cannot remove and install wheels or change light bulbs, then the extended warranty might be a good idea, but it won't pay for wheel changes ot light bulb installation anyway.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
906 Posts
There’s lot of different companies that offer extended warranty and lots of different deductibles /miles etc etc. Polaris factory warranty sucks don’t waste your time with them. But not all companies are horrible like people make them out to be. You just need to know exactly what your paying for. Ask every question you can think of and give them different scenarios to find out what’s covered what’s not. Like ask them if you pipe it will that void anything . Or if wiring harness burns up or gauge cluster goes out is it covered ..In other words play dumb and make them explain it thoroughly . I went through torque group never needed it because I traded my sportsman back in but they did refund most my money . But my buddy has a turbo s with torque and 2 years later exploded the rear diff and transmission . Was 100 % covered with no deductible. So they are not all bad just most have given a bad name to the rest . My rule of thumb has always been , if you pay cash then skip the warranty . If you finance for anything over 3 years then I would not purchase it without the warranty because you don’t want to be stuck making payments on it and being broke down . It’s worth the gamble in that situation

·
Registered
43 Posts
The dealer told me its 6 months then the next 6 months is $50 per claim strange that there different from all other brands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer offered a 25% discount on the $ 900 warranty on my 570. Polaris sent many letters but a couple weeks prior to my 6mo ending the dealer called. So if you decide you want it wait and possibly save some $.

·
Registered
2020 Sportsman 850
87 Posts
I believe I paid $864 for my 5 year warranty. I myself will always have the extended warranty while owning a Polaris. This is my 5th SP and they all used the warranty several times before trading up. Of course the warranty is only as good as your dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Take that $1,500 put it in the bank let it collect interest and you'll have more money left at the end of 5 years than you would if you would have gave it to Polaris and do your own repairs as necessary as they come along.
Some people know nothing about money. A very good CD that may pay .004% interest for 5 years would only give you $30 and the tax on that could bring you down to $25. And a saving account would be more like $7.00.
As for the extended warranty if they wore losing money they would not be selling an extended warranty. Also, most of the things that will break will not be covered.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I bought my ATV back in 2016 my dealer offered me a 5yr warranty also, they were going to factor it into my monthly payments I thought about it overnight. I opted to go the 6 month route, I keep my machine garaged out of the weather I service it myself as far as fluids and everything. It has been in my possession 5 years this October. The only problems that arose were I replaced the battery twice and fouling spark plugs. I don't do extreme stuff like trying to get stuck in mud or swamping my machine and I knew that when I bought it. I'm a sportsman and I basically bought it for hunting and pulling deer out of the woods. As I look back I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,492 Posts
Some people know nothing about money. A very good CD that may pay .004% interest for 5 years would only give you $30 and the tax on that could bring you down to $25. And a saving account would be more like $7.00.
As for the extended warranty if they wore losing money they would not be selling an extended warranty. Also, most of the things that will break will not be covered.
Using your logic.... if you give all $1500 to the dealer you have NOTHING ZERO dollars after 5 years.

Reactions: Fiery Red 570

·
Registered
555 Posts
I paid $1050 for my 2018 in 12/2017.

haven’t used it yet but will be for tie rods.

with the EPS I figured I would get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
collect interest on 1500.00 $ at less then 1 percent per yr..ya ok in 5 yrs maybe 45$

·
Registered
230 Posts
collect interest on 1500.00 $ at less then 1 percent per yr..ya ok in 5 yrs maybe 45$
Current inflation rate for May, 2021 is 5 percent: according to bankrate.com best savings account rates are .5 to .6 percent.

While self insuring with savings is attractive if one can afford it, the math on actually gaining anything doesn’t work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Current inflation rate for May, 2021 is 5 percent: according to bankrate.com best savings account rates are .5 to .6 percent.

While self insuring with savings is attractive if one can afford it, the math on actually gaining anything doesn’t work.
you mean a half of one percent

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my 2021 Sportsman 850 for almost 2 months now. I came with a 6 month warranty and they tried to sell me a extended warranty for 5 years for around $1500. I passed but they said I could extend the warranty through Polaris within 6 months. This is the first ATV I have owned. Is an extended warranty on an ATV a good idea? Are there other 3rd party options for warranties that are better?
Like you I passed on the warranty sales pitch when I recently purchased 2 570 EPS Sportsman in June. Not planning on buying either but then I don't abuse equipment and the lower horsepower of a 570 protects it somewhat. Speak with your dealer's service manager and ask what warranty work he gets, should answer most questions but seems general opinion here is no also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts