Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to purchase an extended warranty for my '09 Sportsman. I know nothing about them, what a good price is, or where to begin looking for one.

Can anyone please help me!

·
Registered
563 Posts
They are not cheap,thats for sure.You can get one at the dealer you bought the atv from.I think I got the shaft on mine,it was about $1000 bucks I think for an extra 4 years after the factory 6 month plan expires.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, yeah I don't have that kind of money laying around for something like this. But I also heard they are alot more expensive if you let the factory warranty run out then try to get another one.

Are there other places to get them besides the dealer?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I was also told that you cant get an extended warranty after the 6 month factory warranty expires.Whether its true or not I dont know.I was planning on getting an extended service plan on my 07 but I forgot about it and waited almost 8 months and they told me "no can do".I have a dealer within 10 minutes from home but they are crooked jackasses IMO so I drive an hour to a different one "if" I need something.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah well I heard you could get another you just have to pay an arm and a leg for it if the factory has run out.

I'll have to do some more research on this but I can't take too long I only have 3 months left!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
The Polaris one is the only one I know of!

·
Registered
441 Posts
read it real carefully [ what it covers n doesn t ] i have yet to buy one ......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought an 850 and the dealer told me for $150 I could get a 12 month warrant. Total 18 months. I said I would make my mind up after I had it for a few months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On Polaris warranty, if you buy a 12 month that is including the first 6 months of Polaris plus another 6 months for a total of 12 months. I am a Polaris dealer so I know this first hand as I sell the contracts also.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
So $150 for 6 more months, thats how all those extended warranties go even on cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm maybe I misunderstood the dealer I bought mine from. So.... since you are a dealer, I have to ask is it worth buying an extended warranty from Polaris? This is my first Polaris ATV with 6hrs and the rear CV axle is already popping. Lets see.... I have heard it backfire twice now and have a weird vibration on the right foot peg on deceleration.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On Polaris warranty, if you buy a 12 month that is including the first 6 months of Polaris plus another 6 months for a total of 12 months. I am a Polaris dealer so I know this first hand as I sell the contracts also.
Yeah so being a dealer do you honestly think it's worth it to buy an extended warranty on these machines? If so where else can you get one besides the dealer and who usually has the best pricing?

·
Registered
527 Posts
As a service manager for years I have personal experience dealing with these money grabbing extended warranty companies and none of it was pleasant. They will try to get out of paying everything. Some good news is I heard that GE has a pretty good extended warranty through Polaris. Read the fine print, some make you pay for all the repairs up front and then they will reimburse you, some will only cover the failed part and not the labor. Read the fine print and ask all kinds of questions. If the dealer is selling you the extended warranty he should know absolutely everything about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet thanks for the info Dale, I'm going to have to look into that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well as far as is it worth it, I have seen it work and I have seen it not work. Its kinda like I purchased it on my 4X4 truck and never used other then for a 100 dollar windshield wiper fluid bottle. So in my case I spent the money for nothing, BUT I always had the comfort of knowing if the something happened then I had a warranty for it. Like Dale said GE is who Polaris works with and they are a pretty good company to deal with. I dont charge my customers up front. I have heard of other shops doing so. But we usually get the machine and take a look at it then submit a claim to GE and they say what they pay and what they wont and then let the customer know and go from there. For the extended warranty like a CV joint they will cover as long as the boot is not ripped or any crash damage. Things like tranny and motor also if maintance is done on them like oil changes. I have seen a guy a new motor, he paid a $50 deductible and no problem got a new motor. But then I have seen a guy get a warranty contract and had an electrical issue. Well we all know with electrical it could take 5 minutes or 5 hours. Well we submited the claim and they would only pay for the part plus flat rate for that part. No diagnostic time. Then that comes back on to the customer. Now it all depends sometimes I have ate it if the customer has been real good to me and bought everything from me, and other times if they have bought it elsewhere and we have done the work I try and work with them but they have to pay what the contract dosnt pay. I work with GE with Polaris but wont sell any aftermarket contracts from other companies becuase like others have said they are hard to deal with and wont cover things and under only certain rules. I guess to answer your question are they worth it or not. It all depends on how your riding and how you treat your machine. Some guys ihave seen only put on a few hundred miles a year, probly not worth it, but if you ride hard and play hard and alot then it might be worth it. Hope this helps you guys out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah thanks PBDB I'm gonna have to think about it some more. I ride mine kinda hard when I do but it doesn't get ridden that often plus I let other people ride it so I will probably end up getting one. I'm gonna go talk to my dealer this afternoon about it and see what his price is.

Thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts