Polaris ATV Forum banner

What do you think is the better route to go...

• Extended Warranty

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Insurance

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Both

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 16.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know this topic has gone around a few times and everyone has mixed opinions about it. I've read alot of those opinions but I'd like to get a count of who thinks what. My 6 month factory warranty will be running out soon and I'm not sure where to go from here. Whether to buy an extended warranty from someone or get the atv insured. Or do both or neither!:aargh4:

This poll is strictly what you think is the best route. Should I get an extended warranty, insurance, both or neither. You can post your thinking on the matter as well if you like but please try to keep it short and sweet. Just why you picked what you did.

Just a little background:
I have an '09 Sportsman XP 850 EPS. I ride a little at home but not too often. I use it for yard work sometimes, pulling trailer or limbs, logs, whatever else. A friend and I like to take trips to parks, like HM, Busco Beach and whatever else we can find. We trailer ours together quite a bit or I'll carry mine to friends houses for the day what have you.

With all this in mind tell me/us what you think......:popc1:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Insurance,if you blow it up...you'll get a new one:eek:oops:Ext warranty will be useless on a total loss...

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you blow up the motor you will not get a new one from your ins, you might get a mptor from your warranty. ins will not cover mechanical issues. unless you got one that does, and if so i wanna know ill look into that.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Well when you blow up your motor, kick the machine down a steep hill let it roll a couple times and then collect the $$ for a new machine??:tee::ugh2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good Point Bruce!!!!!! and what heck is this other post????

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you blow up the motor you will not get a new one from your ins, you might get a mptor from your warranty. ins will not cover mechanical issues. unless you got one that does, and if so i wanna know ill look into that.
Yeah that would be cool cause then I'd be covered all around. I think I would like to look into that. Other than that I'm not going to be stupid with this machine so I forsee only mechanical issues, however I take it to lots of places so I would think insurance would be better incase of an accident or something.

I'm really torn on this issue.:yell:

·
Registered
151 Posts
both

well i bought a 5 year when i bought mine, it was 900, and i keep ins on machine, not only for damage but for liability, you hit someone and hurt them you are responsible, not that it will ever happen , but u never know. i do alot of trail riding and watching some of these people ride and not respect blind corners, someting could happen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you finance your ride then it makes more sense. Or you don't own a lot of stuff.
But if you own 4 quads, 3 snowmobiles, boats, seadoos and trailers etc..... In other words you own a lot of stuff then extended warranties make no sense.
The amount you spend on extended warranties will allow you a complete loss on an item every 5 years.
So you take your chances!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you finance your ride then it makes more sense. Or you don't own a lot of stuff.
But if you own 4 quads, 3 snowmobiles, boats, seadoos and trailers etc..... In other words you own a lot of stuff then extended warranties make no sense.
The amount you spend on extended warranties will allow you a complete loss on an item every 5 years.
So you take your chances!!
not sure i follow you but, i usually dont buy warranties and really not sure why i bought this on other than i got it at cost and it covers everything with no copay. but i own 5 quads, 3 snowmobiles 3 trailer and i really dont understand your point. its a gamble sometimes. i do have everything insured at least for liability.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I quess i wasn't very clear. I also have liability insurance on my quads, because it is a requirement for forestry road riding and I need to ride them to access the back country.
IMHO If you own lots of stuff and purchase full coverage insurance and extended warranties on all your stuff, you could replace a brand new quad every five years for the cost of all that coverage.
So I take the chance and gamble that my stuff will not cost me big in repairs or accidents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion, what you’re looking at is two entirely different things. Extended warrantees will cover anything that breaks or stops functioning correctly (within the language of the contract coverage). I guess you gotta decide for yourself whether you think you’ll have a major malfunction within the extended warrantee period that would be more than the contract price. If you don’t ride overly hard and keep up on maintenance, there’s a better chance of you never needing to use extended coverage.

Insurance is to cover accidents, theft, etc. To me, insurance isn’t an option if you’re trailering and driving on property other than your own. The chances of avoiding an accident when towing, is greatly reduced. You just don’t have the same maneuverability, nor the stopping power. Not to mention, I’ve seen many quads on the side of the road that had a tie down come loose and the machine came off the trailer on the Interstate. You’ll want to be able to repair/replace your quads in these cases and no warrantee will cover that. Likewise, when riding the trails, if someone comes around a corner and hits you or you hit someone else you’ll be glad you had the insurance to cover any legal claims and to fix the quads. The other issue is of theft. A fair amount of quads are subject to being stolen or having parts stripped off of them when staying overnight at a hotel etc. Besides, insurance isn't that expensive like an extended warantee. I know Geico is rated quite high for having good insurance rates and coverage on powersports equip. I know Polaris has an insurance plan as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
definately insurance

just totalled my 08 sportsman 500 3 weeks ago and after my deductable it cost me $100. what would the extended warranty have done for me?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm following you guys. I really like your point fball fan. I think I'm just going to go with the insurance. So far I've done all my own maintenance and since I spent all this money on it I'm certainly not going to be riding it that rough so I don't forsee any breakdowns or mechanical problems.

Thanks for all the advice guys. You can keep posting if you'd like but I believe I'm going to go with just the insurance.

And WTF is up with all these retarded posts? Can an admin come in here and delete these or something?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Extened warranties can be good, but they can also be a hasle. I strongly feel insurance is a must on the newer more expensive machines. Any machine really unless you can afford to replaces it out of pocket should something happen to it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
just got the new 2010 850 and renewed my insurance policy
$250 deductible comp and collision for both the new one and the 06 500
progressive
$500 deductible would have been $307

extended warranty
6 months $115
18 months $600
30 months $800
42 months $1000
56 months $1200
these would be extending the included 6 month warranty

may go with the 18 month

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I buy anything I feel if I have to buy the extended warranty to feel comfortable with the product I won't buy the product. If they feel they need to offer the extended warranty that just means to me they don't have the confidence in their product.
Insurance on the other hand is for MY protection for the unlucky instance that I might have an accident or forbid that I hurt someone else in this accident. I have way to much to loose to a lawyer in a law suit when someone tries to sue you in court.
Besides my full coverage I carry a Umbrella Insurance of 1 million dollars to cover the really big claims. This policy works on everything that I own from auto to boat or atv even the bycicles :)
For those of you who do not have insurance on your stuff the first time you hurt someone THEY will own everything you have and then for the rest of your life you will be payning their medical bills for ever. Not talking from experience just what I believe in RESPONSIBILITY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts