Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. It is decision time, I have 10 days to decide weather or not to get an extended warranty for my 13 sportsman 500, love the machine but is polaris good about honoring there warrantys?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello all. It is decision time, I have 10 days to decide weather or not to get an extended warranty for my 13 sportsman 500, love the machine but is polaris good about honoring there warrantys?
How long is the warranty? If it's only an additional 6 months it might not be even worth it if you don't plan on riding during the winter months. Personally I didn't get it for my 2011 or my wife's 2012, but between the manual, youtube and my somewhat ability with engines I figured I was safe.

·
Registered
993 Posts
3 year is worth it for the way I ride and I have a kick ass dealer so I did the 3 year with my purchase

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Your dealer is the much bigger factor in how much warranty work goes through. Some suck at it, some are great at it. There isn't any money to be made in warranty work for a dealer.

Keep in mind, warranty work only fixes manufacturer defects. Not wear and tear, and no maintenance.

Also keep in mind, on the whole, extended warranties have to make more money than they cost, so on average, you will lose money buying them over them saving you more than they cost.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
blueline said it all. In the end, extended warranties are money makers for the company administering that warranty. They cost us money, maybe for a little piece of mind. And, if you ride a bike hard and it breaks - well the warranty is not likely to pick up the tab, depending on the dealer and how they decide to handle the repair. One thing for sure - we, the consumer, as a whole, are going to lose in the end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
not to forget that mods will effect the warranty & if the issue is anything close to a mod that you've done, forget it. The mod will get blamed for it. I know with canam, like stated earlier, it's all about the dealer. With canam, you can go on their website and see what kind of rating your dealer has? Also, as stated earlier, pending on length of warranty and you riding, it may not be worth it? So far, this year, i've done no riding at all. bummer, major bummer but it is what it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in the same boat and just spoke to two dealers (I bought the machine from one of them) and neither had much positive to say about the extended warranty.

Both dealers (independent of each other) said so many customers complain about what Polaris will and won't cover that they simply won't push a customer one way or the other.

Seems a dealer could spend a great of time (on their dime) trying to get something covered and all too many times Polaris will say no. So now the customer is really ticked at the dealer and it's just not a good situation to be in.

I think I'll skip the coverage...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm in the same boat and just spoke to two dealers (I bought the machine from one of them) and neither had much positive to say about the extended warranty.

Both dealers (independent of each other) said so many customers complain about what Polaris will and won't cover that they simply won't push a customer one way or the other.

Seems a dealer could spend a great of time (on their dime) trying to get something covered and all too many times Polaris will say no. So now the customer is really ticked at the dealer and it's just not a good situation to be in.

I had that problem with my Honda and there ext warranty!! But when I bought my polaris from the same dealer they said they won't even sell a manufacturers warranty anymore. So I went with a company of Zurich that they say is really good about payin to fix stuff! It's already covered both front axles on my 850

2013 850ho

·
Registered
38 Posts
details about zurich? what kind of coverage & cost if you don't care?

I had that problem with my Honda and there ext warranty!! But when I bought my polaris from the same dealer they said they won't even sell a manufacturers warranty anymore. So I went with a company of Zurich that they say is really good about payin to fix stuff! It's already covered both front axles on my 850

2013 850ho

·
Registered
26 Posts
Extended Warranties

I was asked about a 5 year extended warranty for over $1000.00 but said no. In my opinion on a car, TV or an ATV the extended warranties are a rip off. Consumer Reports had an article years ago and suggested not to buy any extended warranties for anything. The dealers that push that stuff hard make more money on the extended warranty than on the product they sell. Sears is a good example; they charge 5 times what others do for extended warranties. A person I know that worked there said they can risk lost sales because they make so much on the extended warranties. . Here is a quick quote about extended warranties (Retailers often push hard to get you to buy extended service plans. Why? Because they're cash cows and have a much higher profit margin than they make on the actual products) Save your money for repairs yourself or assesories, have fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i bought my atv used with an extended warranty left on it for about 8 months. Fortunately, when i had issues with my fuel pump & transmission the extended warranty covered it. It took about 3 months because the dealer told me i would have to go to the back of line since i didn't get atv from him & he took care of his customers first. IMO, no matter who or where one buys an warranty, that owner should get priority but Canam don't stress the importance of having warranty. Canam should have their own warranty & not contracted out thru another company or companies?

·
Registered
38 Posts
that is 200.00 a year. Don't sound bad especially if it something major. Were you able to take it to whomever you wanted to get it fixed since you got it back so soon? 50.00 deductible, that is what canam charges or the dealer.

It was 1000$ for 5 yrs. and it's a 50$ deductible.
They even will cover belts. They didn't ask anything about the axles I had it back the next day

2013 850ho

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I was asked about a 5 year extended warranty for over $1000.00 but said no. In my opinion on a car, TV or an ATV the extended warranties are a rip off. Consumer Reports had an article years ago and suggested not to buy any extended warranties for anything. The dealers that push that stuff hard make more money on the extended warranty than on the product they sell. Sears is a good example; they charge 5 times what others do for extended warranties. A person I know that worked there said they can risk lost sales because they make so much on the extended warranties. . Here is a quick quote about extended warranties (Retailers often push hard to get you to buy extended service plans. Why? Because they're cash cows and have a much higher profit margin than they make on the actual products) Save your money for repairs yourself or assesories, have fun.
I paid around $725 for the 54 month extension on my 550.

Just a couple months ago on my '07 Infiniti G35x, that I bought new, the factory extended warranty me netted $4500 in repairs. I only paid $1700 for the warranty. I agree they generally are a bad buy but sometimes it tilts in your favor.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You might save some money if your dealer won't budge buying warranty from here.

My dealer was willing to match price as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't Get the Warranty

I purchased the BIG extended warranty for my Polaris 850 Browning Edition. The ATV is total trouble and have had it worked on multiple times in 2 years. Not once was what needed fixing under the warranty and the dealer and warranty company were hard to even talk to about it. Its not worth it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I paid over $700 for a Polaris extended warranty and have so far gotten $278 back just from one item. Just one or two more trips in and I will have most if not all my money back. I feel that the Polaris is on the fragile side so we bought the extended warranty.

On a side note we (my wife and I) have had 10 new Yamahas and have never had anything like a warranty claim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts