Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory warranty expires in March '14. I'm on the fence about whether I should drop the $$$ to buy the extended warranty or not.

It almost seems like its not worth it, considering that they'll only cover manufacturing defects, and it seems like it would be hard to prove a manufacturing defect to be the cause a couple years down the road...

Has anyone here bought the ext. warranty? Have you filed a claim? What was the problem, did they fix it, etc etc etc....

Anyone had problems getting warranty work done after installing a clutch kit? What about air intakes or exhaust systems? Larger tires (broken axle, etc)?

I'm looking for all the good, the bad, and the honest here. Is the extended warranty worth it?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I will be buying the extended warranty in the near future. The service manager makes the call on abuse vs defect really. A broken axle, blown motor, transmission, diff, electronics, all things that cost a lot and will easily cost more than the $500+/- cost and are very frustrating when its not your fault it broke.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think a lot depends on your dealership. Some want to keep satisfied customers.
Others act like your stealing money out of their own pockets.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My opinion, and I'm sure this will stir up all kinds of arguments, is that extened warranties are a waste of money for the consumer and a major cash cow for the manufacturers. That's why they offer extended warranties, they make a ton of money on them. Most people who purchase extended warranties never get back the money they put in. My advice is take the money you would spend on a warranty and put it in a bank account without touching it. They money will be there if you need it. Do this every time you buy a car, 4 wheeler, TV, whatever, and you'll have a tidy sum of chash in 20 years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think an extended warranty is good for two groups of riders: 1) a rider who puts lots of hours on his machine and/or rides it hard(but not abused) and 2) a rider who doesn't know how to work on his machine and has no intention of learning. In both cases it's still a gamble. I do agree with the poster above on extended warranties being cash cows for manufacturers. The way i look at it is If I bought an extended warranty for every product I bought I'd have a thousands of $$$ invested and nothing to show for it. But that's me and everybody has their own reasons for the decision they make on extended warranties and for them if getting an extension gives them a level of comfort instead of agonizing over it then it is right for them.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If you plan on keeping your machine totally stock, it is probably worth it.

If you upgrade tires, then anything driveline related with not be covered.
If you do exhaust, intake work, then you motor won't be covered.

So besides the engine, and driveline, is anything else breaking worth the warranty? Probably not. Most warranties will find some way to weasel out of it, claiming abuse or neglect. This is basically what I have seen from peoples issues on here. I myself would never waste my money on it. Alot of people think its a good idea to buy the warranty if they are "hard" on machines, then are bitter when it isn't covered.

Keep in mind, Warranty doesn't allow you to beat the shit out of a machine, then expect it to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It is a gamble but last extended warranty I purchased for around $1800 netted over $4500 in repairs. This also being on a highly rated Consumer Reports vehicle made in Japan.

I did pick up one on my 550 for piece of mind. I know my dealer will go to bat for me if needed.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I wouldn't buy an atv without buying an extended warranty as well. Especially, as was mentioned above, if you plan to ride it a lot. Some consider it a waste of money, but I totally disagree with that. These aren't something that just sits in one place with little to no chance of it breaking down. When you consider the things these machines are put through, it is amazing that there aren't more failures with them. Try taking any full size 4x4 through the things we put our atv's through and they wouldn't last a day without something breaking. I'm not talking about the real abusive treatment that some subject them to, just typical trail riding and rock crawling. They are amazing machines, but they work hard every time they get ridden. I never used the extended warranty on two of my machines, but the bill to fix my 850 when the timing chain tensioner broke was over $2500. The warranty paid for itself 6 times over with just one trip to the shop.
Upgrading tires will not void out the warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in the never buy the warranty catagory because every time it was offered, it was $2000+. I'm not going to pay the dealership $2000 betting that their machine I just paid $6-12k is a piece of junk. It just doesnt make sense to do so. Why buy it in the first place? But then again, I do all my own wrenching so any repair costs are solely spent at the parts department and that's only if there isnt one for dirt cheap on the classifieds from a parted out machine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a Polaristar warranty on my RZR and even with a good dealership, Polaristar fought every repair. Cancelled it and got half my cash back.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm in the never buy the warranty catagory because every time it was offered, it was $2000+. I'm not going to pay the dealership $2000 betting that their machine I just paid $6-12k is a piece of junk. It just doesnt make sense to do so. Why buy it in the first place? But then again, I do all my own wrenching so any repair costs are solely spent at the parts department and that's only if there isnt one for dirt cheap on the classifieds from a parted out machine.
I wouldn't spend 2K on an a quad warranty either. My Polaristar warranty was $720 for 5 years. It's just piece of mind for me. I know if engine did detonate on my 550 it would cost a lot more than $720 in parts to repair. I kind of go on a formula myself that if unit is simple in design then warranty probably isn't necessary but we are going beyond a day when just general maintenance will always keep things running well. It takes one bad micro solder connection somewhere to make an ECU or other control unit to go bad. Unfortunately, I don't always have the time to commit to major repairs and my skills are probably on the lower mid-range of backyard mechanics capabilities compared to most on here. I am still hesitant to tear into a motor beyond the top end. I guess I just need to do it someday for the experience though.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion. A warranty is only as good as your dealer. 3/4 of the time they find a reason not to cover it. I also don't like others touching my atv. I like to know exactly what is done to it. I would also rather upgrade my machine rather than replacing it with the same stock part that was weak in the first place, such as axles. I can put gorilla axles on my atv for $1400, and not worry about them breaking. If the transmission goes out, I can put in a gear reduction for $350. If the front diff. breaks I can upgrade it for $170. All of this less than a warranty. Any way, ya'll get the point.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I buy them for piece of mind (only on my ATV's), definitely paid off on other ATV's I have owned, but was also denied some items (front Diff filled with Mud, per them rider abuse) so I have experienced both happy and sad times with the warranties, but mainly got the 5 yr on the new one due to the EPS units and like Bobx said you drive these things in the worst environments and they do take a beating. I can turn a wrench, but am not too motor smart beyond fluid changes, so if you can afford it get it but make sure and talk them down as that is probably all profit for the dealer. my 5 year was $700 but I got it with a front brush guard thrown in..

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 2013 850 xp Touring LE I got the Extended warrenty with only 1000 miles on it, it's already paid for its self for I had to get a new TPS sensor and new fan/motor etc all under warrenty. For whats covered I couldnt go wrong axle/motor/trans/etc The dealer even told me if I put a big wheel kit on my atv and bust an axle its still covered now that's sevice. Ive been buying atv's from him for the past 7 years bought 4 new ones from him and 2 used ones. And its a piece of mind to me

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Extended warrenties are designed to make the dealer money not save you money. That being said, if you are not handy with you machine and have to have the dealer do all your work it may be worth it but remember, it only covers warrentied items. Also, if you start modifying your ATV with clutch kits and so forth it might void any warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I'm pretty handy around the garage, built a couple of motors for a couple different cars and such, so it's not just about being helpless with a wrench in your hands. To say warranties are for those who can't turn a wrench and a waste of money for anyone else is a pretty silly statement. Maybe your opinion, but not the rule. Even if I had done my own rebuild, parts alone would have cost nearly three times what I paid for my extended warranty.
I wouldn't pay $2000 for a warranty, but that sounds like a bit of a stretch for a price quote. My 3 1/2 year warranty cost $450. Why wouldn't you pay that? Four years of coverage from the day I bought it for $450 is a no brainer, I don't care how handy you think you are in a garage.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If everyone that paid for a warranty used them I promise your premiums would be 10 times what you are paying. Those companies are making money and not just a little.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
If everyone that bought one used it, Polaris would go out of business for selling garbage. It's a chance you take when you spend the money for it, and I always hope I'm throwing the money away. 2 out of 3 of my atv's never used the warranty, and I'm happy the warranty was never needed. However, on the third one, repair costs where considerably higher than what I paid for all three warranties combined. Guess I'm still ahead in the game and not out any cash, and still have time left on the coverage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts