Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering my new 2018 machine coded after 5 hours of running, I'm wondering if I should get the extended warranty? Without reading into it, not sure what all is covered so I thought I'd throw it out there..........any suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was always told your first 6 months is going to give you a good idea of how the machine is going to be, if.... You've had several issues already it may be wide to get the extended warranty.. I have been fairly lucky and on both my machines I didn't get the extended warranty and haven't regretted it yet , it's a gamble and the odds are stacked against us on the cost vs benefit.. I have fixed s few things on my machines a voltage regulator on one and a CV boot on the other but the cost of those items was nowhere near the cost of the warranty, plus I "think" there is a 50 dollar fee for diagnosis before warranty will cover parts at least I've heard of several people complaining about charges in addition to coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is a gamble. I am definitely not pro extended warranty, but when I bought my 2015 Polaris 570 SP touring I decided to get it. Just because it was my first Polaris, and the bikes these days seem to have so many things that can break. The warranty was somewhat reasonably priced, and it added four years. You have to be aware of what it covers and what it doesn't. There are a lot of things it doesn't cover. I saw it as a security blanket for the big issue, high cost, repair that might happen.

In my particular case I think I lucked out this time on the gamble. Just last week the bike started leaking what appears to be coolant around the engine base seal, which I am sure is going to be a very expensive repair job. Just dropped it off today at the dealer, so I can't confirm quite yet, but I am sure the repair will cover the price of the extended warranty and then some.

Just my experience, hope it helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the msrp for a 5 year extended warranty is $1000 but the dealer said he would give me 20% off. I'm thinking that can be further negotiated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
All three dealers told me the warranty was over $1250.
I got mine for $1,050

·
Registered
273 Posts
ImageUploadedByOff-Road Forums1519272304.993251.jpg
Here is a sheet I got from my dealer that has the msrp of the extended warranty. . They ended up giving me 20% off

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haggled the dealership down to $870 for the 5yr extended warranty when buying mine a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts
About a month before your 6 month warranty is up you should be receiving info in the mail from Polaris about purchasing their extended warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is great info! Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its more than well worth it, I have use it 3 times already (fuel pump, charging system, and injector) And now at 4-1/2 years just taking ti in for CV joints on the front. Its completely stock and only trail driven with 2100 miles.
The pump would have been $900, charging system $500, and injector $300......and now I'm told the cv joints are $500 each side including labor. So, yeah, mine paid for the cost of the warranty easliy (and I got a free 3 year, just topped up to 5 for an extra $400.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Any idea if tie rod ends are covered?
Both front wheels have play if you grab at 3 and 9.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks. I read wheel bearings are considers a wear item. That’s laughable to me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Belt I can understand.
but clutch etc?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts