Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is extended warranty something most go for?I was offered six months for $149 cdn.I have time to consider it.Is that a fair price?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
that is the most common extended warranty to go for. however most of the sales i have had they do not do it. i think its like $99 US for 6 months. as long as its the same for the US as it is for CDN, which i assume it is, you do have the first 6 months of your orginal warranty to decided if you want to extend it, and sometimes if you wait polaris will send you warranty coupons in the mail at about month 4 or 5 to try to get you to do it. so even if you want to do it, wait.....you might get a coupon from polaris for it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey murthebear,

I'm just completing a purchase of a 2009 550 XP. The local Polaris dealer here in Newfoundland tells me the shortest warranty he can get for me is an additional 18 months for $899.00 Cdn.!!!

This offer you have for 6 additional months for $149, is it Polaris or ?????. If you don't mind could you send me the dealer telephone number?

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a 2010 Polaris 500 HO.Before responding i called the dealer to confirm that price.It is indeed $149 for six months.I'll p.m. you the Dealer and phone number.

·
Registered
26 Posts
on my papers I got from the dealer it sais I paid over $1.000 dollars for extended waranty when I bought it new but it wont tell me how many months I got any help in finding out how many months I got? the dealer said I got the 6 months of factory and then the 6 months extended which I think is a crock of crap that would be a rip off

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have never bought an extended warranty for anything. Basically its just a very high profit item for the seller. Although 6 months is not really what I consider a decent warranty period for a new machine, it should allow enough time to notice any problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with natureboy. If you know how EXW are sold its based off of the % of warrntys they fix then They mark up the rest to pay the people to sale them. Never "pay" for warrntys. If they want to give you one take it but don't pay for it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ok so you guys are saying $800 for a 4 yr extended warranty is no good? I got my 12 850 HO (with EPS) for $7,900.00, I am going to fill out paperwork tonight...

·
Registered
70 Posts
You have owned multiple bikes in the past. How much have you spent on repairs that would be covered by a warranty in the last 4yrs? These things are tough and usually only
Mess up by doing things that would not be covered by a warranty.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
that is the thing, the rear seal on my front Diff went out and they said it was due to too much mud and did not cover, but they did cover a starter that went out and a bad motor mount so that was about $500 vs the $1k I paid for that one (the diff was way more and I had to pay for that) So I do no know if it is worth having to fight for things each time.. we all know how we ride these..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I only paid $550 for a 4 year warranty so my is covered for 54 months with the 6 months that comes with the bike. Plus i do not have a deductible for mine either.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I only paid $550 for a 4 year warranty so my is covered for 54 months with the 6 months that comes with the bike. Plus i do not have a deductible for mine either.
that's crazy cheap tho. I think most guys don't have access to those prices. where I live it was around $1600 for a 4 1/2 year warranty.And it's not like your 'extended Warranty" covers ALL repairs that will ever need to be done. Just defected factory parts. And Polaris will fight those repairs to the fullest extent in most cases..Even my sales rep at the dealer said that "Polaris use to be good for warranty work,But not no more.. to many guys took advantage of it and there cracking down"

@ $500 bucks I'm sold
@ $1600 not a chance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yea the place i bought mine from does not go thru Polaris for the warranty cause the have a $50 deductible. I had to have my left axle replaced and not a problem at all from them. I got my bike back yesterday. They had to order the part from Polaris so not sure how they have it worked out.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So I need to make a decision by Wednesday when I go sign the paperwork, I got him to throw in a front brush guard with the 5 year warranty for a total of $900.00 and being we beat the piss out of the machines I am thinking of getting it now, (ps I have replaced starters from DB electric many times so I can wrench a little) But thinking about the power steering and other bigger ticket items I am thinking it will be worth it. does anyone disagree. (note this is an aftermarket warranty with no deductible, not the Polaris one)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Man they really want you to buy that warranty don't they. I personally don't buy extended warrnties. I would feel better about buying $900.00 in upgrades.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
"extended warranty's"...make companies millions...If a company cared about the quality of there product or there customer for that matter..They would give a decent length warranty...Its a money grab and they prey off word of mouth from the odd person that has a serious problem and "warranty fixed it"

I bet you most of the time..."it's your fault"

If you need $1000 worth of piece of mind,then giver..But not for me

·
Registered
315 Posts
So I need to make a decision by Wednesday when I go sign the paperwork, I got him to throw in a front brush guard with the 5 year warranty for a total of $900.00 and being we beat the piss out of the machines I am thinking of getting it now, (ps I have replaced starters from DB electric many times so I can wrench a little) But thinking about the power steering and other bigger ticket items I am thinking it will be worth it. does anyone disagree. (note this is an aftermarket warranty with no deductible, not the Polaris one)
What's the aftermarket company?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts