Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding on Saturday, and after coming down a large hill I noticed that shifting gears had become nearly impossible. At first I thought maybe the linkage had come loose, but after tearing the plastics off everything is till tight. If I turn the key to on, but don't fire the engine, I can stick shift with no problems through all the gears. As soon as the engine is running, I literally have to put all my force into moving the shift stick, to the point where it feels something is going to snap. I immediately packed it up and got it into my garage before anything major broke on it. Now I'm asking to see if anyone else has had this issue, and what would be the best guess as to what is wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to note, once I do start it, I have to shift all the way to high before I can yank it back down to anything else, seems to skip neutral on the way up to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did it always shift somewhat hard and has become worst or did it shift very easy and became hard all of a sudden?

·
Registered
201 Posts
100% clutch issues. Your primary is driving the belt rather than having the belt stationary at idle. When the belt is driven while at an idle it spins the secondary clutch putting force on the transmission internals. Gotta pop off you clutch covers and see why the belt is being driven by the primary at idle.

Could have a broken motor mount, primary could be plugged up with crap causing it to not open enough at idle to release the belt.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the first thing is to make sure your idle is not set too high then look at the clutches

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Since you are posting this in the XP section, I assume you have an XP? That would rule out motor mounts. Like was said, you are going to have to get the clutch cover off and "see" what's going on with the primary (drive) clutch. If this is/was a sudden occurrance there is likely crud or worn parts to blame for the clutch not opening all the way.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
100% clutch issues. Your primary is driving the belt rather than having the belt stationary at idle. When the belt is driven while at an idle it spins the secondary clutch putting force on the transmission internals. Gotta pop off you clutch covers and see why the belt is being driven by the primary at idle.

Could have a broken motor mount, primary could be plugged up with crap causing it to not open enough at idle to release the belt.
Since you are posting this in the XP section, I assume you have an XP? That would rule out motor mounts. Like was said, you are going to have to get the clutch cover off and "see" what's going on with the primary (drive) clutch. If this is/was a sudden occurrance there is likely crud or worn parts to blame for the clutch not opening all the way.
Looks like some good advise here already..... OP what did you find out after inspection?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
check the one way bearing on primary clutch it should rotate 1 Way freely and locked in the other direction

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, well I finally had some time to tear it apart tonight. Got as far as getting the clutch cover off to see what was going on, but that's about as far as I got. All I can say is that when I started it up, both primary and secondary are spinning, so I need to figure out why that is happening. I should have some more time tomorrow night to meddle around with it. Belt was in good condition, but there was abit of dust in the case, so I'm thinking that the clutch needs a cleaning. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Secondary also didn't seem to spin completely balanced, had the very slightest wobble to it when I started it and watched the middle bolt while it was running.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So what turned out to be the issue with your clutch? I have the same issue that I am in the middle of trying to fix. Clutch worked fine but after some hard fun in the snow this winter it started doing this. First it got hard to shift to a point where I stripped out the Bellcrank.

At first I thought that was the only issue but after replacing that it was still hard to shift. A few weeks later my wife was using it in the yard and couldn't shift at all unless she turned the machine off. She also said it wouldn't stop moving unless she had it in neutral. I checked it out and confirmed that the clutch was always in drive and you could not idle without it moving and couldn't shift without turning it off.

I finally got the time to look at it the other day and found that the primary was always spinning the belt. After some digging around I'm thinking the issue is the primary not disengaging all the way on the belt. I cleaned it out but no joy. Worst part is I tried to get a cheaper clutch puller off Amazon and it was the wrong one and I think I stripped out the threads inside the clutch for pulling it. I have the correct part on order and am hoping it will work but I'm concerned that I may not be able to pull the primary off due to this.

Even if I do get it off, I may wind up replacing the whole thing since I cannot seem to find just the fan part of the clutch that has the shaft where the threads are to pull it. All in all, it seems pretty straight forward if not for using the wrong tool and messing up the threads. Rebuilding the clutch is easy enough with the right tools which I now have. Just waiting on the puller.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It ended up being the one way bearing. I had popped a seal and chewed up the insides of the bearing. Was hard to tell at first, bearing was only abit tougher to spin then it usually is. Once I got the bearing off it was clearly the problem. Easy fix, $60 for a new bearing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad you got it resolved. I finally got the proper tool to remove the primary and luckily the internal threads where still fine. It came off easy. Going to just do a rebuild on it. Can't seem to find the clutch holding tool (2871358-B) in stock anywhere though. I may have to make one myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the clutch on the left side??? I do see a belt on that side. I just got this 2004 Magnum 330 Polaris running after sitting for four months claims the owner. I'm a small engine guy..This is the first 4 wheeler I'm attempting. I have to stop the machine to move the lever. It doesn't matter which brake I try..it all ends the same with not being able to shift...thanks...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts