Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , I’m currently replacing my fourth power steering box on another 850 xp! I’m done with paying $2400 ca for these units. I have looked at ez steer due to the warranty and less then half the price. However it states that the 850 xp kit will NOT fit the touring model . Now I have looked this over alot and the only thing I can see that would be a issue is the battery being all the way in the back. If I ran wires from the battery to the front , I cant see any reason why this wouldn’t work. It’s a $1200 gamble so If there’s anyone out there that knows why this wouldn’t work ,please chime in ! Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
EZ Steer

Have you tried calling themand asking to speak with a tech? Maybe they can tell you exactly what the issue is, or maybe it's just that they have not done the R&D on the touring.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have called them and the guy I spoke with couldn’t tell me why either. He did suggest the same thing you said...could be that they never tried on a touring .

·
8,910 Posts
Just guessing I'd say the differences in the frame would mean you'd have to fab your own mount brackets. Or it may be clearance issues with the fuel tank since the Touring has a larger tank.
It wouldn't be wiring. That's a easy fix to add a couple feet more wire. It'll be a clearance/mounting issue because of the different design.
Same reason they make no kit for the older Sportsman. No room to mount it. The oil tank would have to be moved somewhere else to mount the steering motor and there's nothing easy to mount it to.

·
8,910 Posts
On second thought, I think I'd looked at this before for someone. The REASON they don't have a kit is that, if I'm not mistaken, the Touring models all come standard with EPS. The EZsteer kits are designed to put EPS on machines that DON'T already have it. There wouldn't be any market for them to sells kits to folks that already have EPS on their machines. :nixweiss:
You'd have to be pretty handy with metal fabrication, welding and have the tools but it could be done. You'd have to get the old unit out, fab a mount for the EZsteer unit and then adapt the upper and lower steering stem sections to fit the new unit.
You don't say what year you have but there's probably not much difference between years.
Here's the diagram of a 2015.
Hmm... did find something curious though. The steering unit for the 15 is ONLY listed for that particular year model. That could indicate a redesign BECAUSE of problems?? :kopfkratz:

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one will be on a 2010 xp , I took the power steering out of another 2010 I had and put a normal non eps straight shaft in it and had no problems . All I had to buy was the shaft. Once the eps mount plate was removed it was as if it never had eps, so I assume the kit will have no fab work to the plate or any other steering components.Honestly I think the only hurdle would be the pos/neg cables not reaching the battery which is hardly a problem. I really hope that’s it because I ordered the kit 😨

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I double checked the tank, steering stems brackets and eps part#’s on the touring and normal xp. They are all the same

·
8,910 Posts
I double checked the tank, steering stems brackets and eps part#’s on the touring and normal xp. They are all the same
Sounds like it should work then.
let us know how it goes. I put a EZsteer on my old 800 a few years ago and was VERY impressed with it. I actually like the feel of the EZ on the 800 better than I do the OEM on my new 2018 1k!

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
i have installed ez on 2009xp850 and 2015 xp850. wires were different , due to battery location. 09 on the back. 15up front. frame was different too, so mounting bracked from ez steer was different... but non of them.was touring, so cant tell what it will be in your case.
polman how come touring have bigger thank. uncle.google says different. that touring does have smaller.fuel tank..
edit the only model with bigger tank is military ver. from what i heard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s odd , Polaris parts house lists the same part # for the tanks on a touring and normal 850 xp as part # 2520922.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also ez steer kit that I bought states it the will fit 09-10 850 xp but the 09’s had the battery in the rear and the 10’s were up front 🤔

·
8,910 Posts
That’s odd , Polaris parts house lists the same part # for the tanks on a touring and normal 850 xp as part # 2520922.
Yeah, I was mistaken about the tank. I was thinking about the older model 2up or x2 that had a larger tank than the single seater. Not the XP's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys , after busting up my knuckles I got the ez steer in and it worked out fantastic. This kit bolted up without any modifications or without extending any cables! I’m more then pleased with it. Now time will tell if it lasts longer then oem.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Ok guys , after busting up my knuckles I got the ez steer in and it worked out fantastic. This kit bolted up without any modifications or without extending any cables! I’m more then pleased with it. Now time will tell if it lasts longer then oem.
Great news. Thanks for the followup.

·
8,910 Posts
Good deal Koda! I think you're really gonna like it. Have you gotten to ride enough to tell any difference in feel between the EZ Steer and OEM on the same machine?
Did you tie it into the speedo to regulate the sensitivity?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts