Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I needed one , and I didn't like how the factory one fit or the thin tube it was made of. Decided Sunday since it was pouring down rain I had nothing better to do. I made it out of 1/2" schedule 80 seamless pipe. Fully welded and painted with spray on truck bed coating. Turned out pretty good. Good enough I'm going to attempt to build a rear extended rack and front and
rear bumpers. Rear rack is really a joke on these things now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very cool. I need to get me a welder...And learn to weld. How do those fasten to the atv? Also like the shotgun shell throttle extender. Going to try that one myself. Love to hear how they hold up. You think they are strong enough to strap to?

Sent from my dumb smart phone...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably 5x stronger than factory. Schedule 80 1/2" pipe is probably close to 1/4" thick. Not like thin wall tube that they use.

I attached them by welding 1/4" nuts inside the uprights, then bolted the uprights to the lid. From there took a string all the way around to show me the angles. Cut everything with a chop saw, tack welded everything , unbolted and then welded it up. Took about 4 hours.
I put large fender washers under the lid to spread out any stress it might put on it.

The lid will break long before the rack does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah man that looks real nice! I'm sure alot cheaper than the Polaris rack extenders too. Looks like they'll really stand up to any load that is put on them and they look nice and tall too. Great job!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Looks like a quality build...but the thumb extender is priceless :D

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nice fab work..... Now just finish off the open pipe end holes with a couple of black ribbed hole plugs from the hardware store (Home Depot) and your set!! :fing02:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Great job on the rack. I also like the basset hound in the background, use to have one myself, now I have a beagle and a jack Russell terrier, love them all!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great job on the rack. I also like the basset hound in the background, use to have one myself, now I have a beagle and a jack Russell terrier, love them all!!
I have the one Bassett and 15 beagles lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts