·
Registered
567 Posts
Why not just buy a 1 1/4 to 2" adapter for $10

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The adapter really dangle it out there..... add ~3 - 4" for the adapter and then another 3 - 4 for the 2" reciever...... 6-8" can really produce some torque/leverage on a 1-1/4" thin guage reciever integrated into the frame. The stouter 2" hitch is a far better and robust option, keeping the weight closer to the axle and point of connection. :fing02:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, yeah I really didnt want to use an adapter and have it sticking way out along with giving it more to rattle. The scrap tubing wasnt exactly the size I needed but I couldn't beet free. After I got home and got to looking at it I figured out that by welding a pice of 2" x3/16" angle scrap I had inside the tube , the hitch fit perfectly inside, and using the small pice of angle I cut off as a brace it still alows me to use the 1 1/4" reciver if ever need to. Not perfect but I'll work. :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Nice to see you "fabbed up a receiver"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know my speeling SUCKS:chairfall: I didn't even realize auto correct didn't catch it, I was concentrating on getting the pics to upload

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
The adapter really dangle it out there..... add ~3 - 4" for the adapter and then another 3 - 4 for the 2" reciever...... 6-8" can really produce some torque/leverage on a 1-1/4" thin guage reciever integrated into the frame. The stouter 2" hitch is a far better and robust option, keeping the weight closer to the axle and point of connection. :fing02:
I agree 100%. But why even bother going to a 2" receiver. This is an atv not an F250. The 1 1/4 receiver is more than enough.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yeah I know my speeling SUCKS:chairfall: I didn't even realize auto correct didn't catch it, I was concentrating on getting the pics to upload
Just grindin' your gears!

Good work, always a better feeling to do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I agree 100%. But why even bother going to a 2" receiver. This is an atv not an F250. The 1 1/4 receiver is more than enough.
That way you don't need o buy a new hitch just for the atv.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Nice job! One word of caution to every one put a bolt with a nylock nut on it thru your hitch, get rid of hitch pin and clip, was riding down county road, my son following me a couple years ago, some how clip came off hitch pin, pin fell out, trailer hitch and ball start flying , bouncing down road, luckily he didn't get hit and luckily he saw it and picked it up or I would have lost it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That way you don't need o buy a new hitch just for the atv.
We have a B-I-N-G-O folk! I see the only reason to go to a 2" reciever would be to not have to double up on recievers that you could easily share with your truck!

I also agree with the OP..... $80 is far to much to spend on one of these 2" Hitches (exspecially if you have the ability and tools to make it yourself). And what you created is a great design that will easly hold up to the tow rating of the wheeler. Other systems tend to tie into the rear suspension a-arm mounts.... which I think is a good am=nd a bad thing all in one. It may help tie the rear end components together and add strength, but if towing to much it's extra stuff that can get bent of ruined!!

I personlly went with a "1-1/4" 3 In One" type reciever.... which can accomodate for.... 1) 2" Ball Hitch 2) Flat Hitch/Pin 3) Clevis Ring for towing/securing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts