Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Lol hey you got it in more ways then one :devil.

·
9,437 Posts
Yep, there's always more than one way to skin a cat lol. :wink
I bought an old F-150 a couple years ago for a farm truck and don't know when or who changed the oil last but I'd never encountered a filter stuck as tight as that one was. I tried most of my usual tricks to no avail. My buddy at the auto parts store turned me on to a all steel spring-loaded filter wrench that squeezes tighter the harder you twist. It about half crushed the filter can but brought it off with authority after I got my foot braced against the truck frame to pull.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
polman - I have two of those spring steel filter wrenches :fing02: - one for full sized filters and one for imports (got them back when I owned a gas station and did lots of oil changes) - they are not very handy on most motorcycles and ATV's. I have about 7 cup filter tools, a strap wrench, a 'box' end wrench for Goldwings, a offset filter slip joint pliers and my favorite cam jaw gripper that works on just about everything - it only failed to remove a filter on a Harley one time - I had to unbolt the filter adapter from the Sportster engine, crush the filter in a bench vice and use a pipe wrench to unscrew the adapter from the filter. I think the OP's way would have been faster and will remember it for the next time. Here's a pic of the cam jaw tool. About $75 MSRP from Bikemaster

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts