Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the forum. Just bought a 2008 800 EFI. It has the Real Tree plastic on it and it has faded into almost purple. I noticed in a couple spots that it has rubbed off.

- Is the Real Tree cameo applied by that kind of screening process? If so, could I sand it off?

- What is the best method to sand it off or remove it.

- Once removed what is the best and most durable paint?

- It appears that under the Real Tree the plastic is black. If that is the case, is there a clear that I could spray on it to protect from scratching?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Google PC Racing plastic renew or look in AUG 2013 ATV Rider mag. That's common with those. should sand off pretty easy I would think. And you'd have a black one

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look at a process called "hydro dipping" on youtube. I am starting to get into it and it is REALLY neat. I have dipped parts for my AR and wheeler. These are small flat parts. Fenders are a whole different beast. There are companies all around that dip. Just google them. I had a company quote my 2013 XP and it was $800 in 4d max. They all all the plastic, from sanding to painting, to clear coating it. Its the same process Polaris uses when making their camo atvs.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the forum. Just bought a 2008 800 EFI. It has the Real Tree plastic on it and it has faded into almost purple. I noticed in a couple spots that it has rubbed off.

- Is the Real Tree cameo applied by that kind of screening process? If so, could I sand it off?

- What is the best method to sand it off or remove it.

- Once removed what is the best and most durable paint?

- It appears that under the Real Tree the plastic is black. If that is the case, is there a clear that I could spray on it to protect from scratching?

Thanks for the help!
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the Polaris camos are hydrographics. I would imagine it can be sanded off. I would guess using wet sandpaper in the 1000 to 1500 grit should do it without causing too much damage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the Polaris camos are hydrographics. I would imagine it can be sanded off. I would guess using wet sandpaper in the 1000 to 1500 grit should do it without causing too much damage[/QUOTE]

Let's say I tackle this and get all the camo off, down to the black plastic. I would like to keep it black, so should I just put a matte clear over the plastic or should I go ahead and paint it as well?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts