Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have a 95 Polaris 300 4x4. Yesterday I took it to the mountain trails for some riding to test it out after a carb rebuild and top end rebuild. The trails I was riding on were pretty rocky and I noticed my RF strut was leaking fluid pretty bad. I am also aware that my tie rod ends are wore out and need replaced. I noticed that alot of bumps and rocks I ran over, I felt a "Jolt" in the handlebars like the struts were bottoming out or that there was no "cushion" left in them. Needless to say after all the trail riding I was beat up from it lol. It's obvious that the RH strut needs replaced since its leaking and I'm sure I should go ahead and do the LH while I'm at it. Is there anything else that could cause this harsh feeling in the handlebars/front end? I have a plow that I am planning on using in the winter when it snows but I would use it maybe 3-5 times a year depending on snow. Are there any struts that you would recommend? Gas or Hyd? I would like to make this thing handle trails and rocks with good "cushion" in the front end which I'm not sure if that's possible since its not a large ATV. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a front strut fail like that too on my '04 700. I know what mean by that "jolt" when the suspension would bottom out or hit the upper stop on full extension. I replaced both my front struts with gas charged ones off of ebay. It made a HUGE difference in the handling both on the rocks and the high speed dirt roads compared to the stock hydraulic units. I also use a plow on this atv, in both snow and some dirt work, and have been happy with these struts (and HD front springs).

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
With the bike being almost 20 years old I am not surprised the struts had not failed sooner. Once you replace them I think you will discover that have been bad for sometime. Just because a strut is not leaking does not mean it's not bad.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
With the bike being almost 20 years old I am not surprised the struts had not failed sooner. Once you replace them I think you will discover that have been bad for sometime. Just because a strut is not leaking does not mean it's not bad.
I agree. The OEM struts are non rebuildable, and nothing is inherently wrong with that, they are a wear item.

I'm not sure if there are aftermarket option out there for this machine or not, but if there is they very well might be 3 or 4 times more expensive than an OEM replacement.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Don't know if these will fit your machine or not...but, I bought them off eBay, decent price for a pair of gas struts:

New Polaris ATV 1 5 8" Front ATV Struts Shocks Kit | eBay

Got to remove the entire strut to install them, bit of work, but, not bad...as long as I had my strut out, gave me the opportunity to do the ball joints and inside seal on the struts.
Those are the same ones I put in. The only bad part was they are extremely tight going into the strut/hub housing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those are the same ones I put in. The only bad part was they are extremely tight going into the strut/hub housing.
Exactly, but, once you get it figured out, not too bad. Got to spread the strut out a bit with wedges, and I ended up slipping a pipe onto the strut housing to tap it down.

For the price though...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate all the help. According to the OEM part number my stock strut # is 7041451 which isn't listed on the replacement for the ebay listing :(. I'm not sure if it would work but it would be very nice because that's a really good price for a pair! Should I look into getting the HD springs also or will that be necessary for ride comfort?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really appreciate all the help. According to the OEM part number my stock strut # is 7041451 which isn't listed on the replacement for the ebay listing :(. I'm not sure if it would work but it would be very nice because that's a really good price for a pair! Should I look into getting the HD springs also or will that be necessary for ride comfort?
Looks like your original struts are 1 1/2"...the ones on eBay there are 1 5/8". Although the same ones from eBay come in 1 1/2" also...

Polaris ATV Shock Absorbers | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Might be worth a shot sending an email to the seller and see if he will offer you the same price on the 1 1/2" ones??

As far as springs go...depends on what you have on the front of your machine...any extras or a plow, worth having the HD springs...not much difference in price and will you really notice a difference in ride quality over stock since yours are crapped out?

I have found that Dennis Kirk is pretty reasonable on springs...offers free shipping on orders over $89 and get your new tie rods there too?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts