Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had this problem. I have an 2005 sportsman 400. The fan continues to run even when the key is off. I am trying to locate the temp. sending sensor?

Any ideas of where that may be? It is not in the Radiator.

Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the cylender head on the left side

·
Registered
563 Posts
Look on the cylinder,possibly near the oil filter.Thats where it is on the 500 not sure about the 400.A bad ECM will cause the fan to run like that.

·
Registered
563 Posts
type on your search engine Polaris sportsman 450 recall.There should be something about atvriders.com They have this info on the recalls on the ecm.All the vin numbers and models.It is for the 2006 450 Sportsman among others

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. The ECM has been replaced per the Recall and local dealership. The temp sending unit has been disconected and the fan still runs. It looks like it must be the ECM.

I am thinking about getting an aftermarket electric fan controler with temp probe for radiator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Sportsman 400 and had the same problem. Disconnect the temp sensor and connect a 500 to 1K potentiometer to the cables that were connected to the sensor. If you turn the pot so that the resistance falls below 300k, the fan should turn on. If you turn it back up, it will turn off. If it does not work like that, the ECM is bad. I had the same problem and have two identical units. The pot troubleshooting method works perfectly. Luckily, I had another unit in order to borrow the ECM and verify 100%.

Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts