Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking at wiring in a fan override for when I go in the deep stuff but have questions about the self resetting breaker that Polaris has. When does that breaker trip? When the blades of the fan touch the water? Because if so, do I need to put a override switch in?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have any of you guys ran a 3 way switch? One setting for continuous operation, one setting for off, and one setting for normal stock operation? That would be the cats meow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've sunk my atv to the top of the headlights and nothing has tripped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For a couple bucks you can buy a toggle switch and some extra wire and make your own fan switch, my fan sensor stopped working so i cut off the wire that went to the sensor on the radiator and ran the extra wire to a toggle switch that i mounted on the headlight pod.. Works pretty good, and i saved almost $50!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Guessing the fan breakers trip from the added load of the water on the fan blades if running...... you could run a toggle or relocate your radiator!

Just a thought, but have put dielectric grease in all the connectors on your machine.... if you're "going deep"? As the connectors could be getting wet causing grounding or short circut issues between terminals?! :dunno:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've di-electric all my connectors and I' think I might run a toggle. I like using my third headlight too much to relocate it, I haven't had any problems with my fan and that breaker, I just wanted to know what it takes to trip that.
-Suppose I just run a splice connector to the positive on the fan wiring harness to a toggle on the pod and ground the switch?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll use a switch with a light on it, just to know when my fan is disabled so I don't smoke the motor :veryhappy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I cut the wire in between the sensor on the radiator and the connector that goes to the fan, spliced the positive and the negative wires and ran them up to a toggle I put on the pod.The toggle with the light is a good idea, I catch my self leaving the fan on longer then it needs to be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks bmaybury, I'll check them out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bmaybury so your toggle just controls your fan to be "on" constantly and your fan "off" constantly? From what I get you bypassed the thermo sensor?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, my sensor went bad that turned on the fan and it would overheat so I did the toggle switch thing instead of buying a new sensor. Doesn't help ya with your breaker question, but it would help for getting threw deep water or mud, someone told me that people that do mud bogs a lot have a similar set up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good bmaybury, I'm going to try and search more for the 3 way set up on a toggle, but if I can't find anything I think ill do something similar to your set up.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This is my mod on my 850. When switch is off, it is in auto. When on, it is on full time; even if the ECU is trying to control it on/off it'll have no effect while I have it overridden to be on.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For the switch, bought one of this Dorman® Conduct-Tite!? 84840 - LED Rocker Switch | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Then drilled hole in the pod to mount. Spliced in a negative to ground the LED, spliced in a positive from an accessory wire so that it is "Switched" power meaning only alive when the key is "ON", and spliced that line into my fan's positive lead either before or after the connector, can't remember though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amdforever that's a good set up, I would just want to do that with a three way switch that I have laying around, id want one more setting for having the fan completely off for when I'm in sandy river water so I don't wreck the fan itself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These guys seem to want the same thing I want. I think I might try what they did. Pretty interesting thread.

Radiator Fan Switch

·
Registered
958 Posts
Reviving an old one

These guys seem to want the same thing I want. I think I might try what they did. Pretty interesting thread.

Radiator Fan Switch
Ok, I know this is an old thread, but can someone explain to me EXACTLY how they wired the relay on the 3rd page of the above thread.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just use the switch to break the hot wire to the fan motor. Think of it as Auto and water. When it is in the on position the circuit is closed and will work as always, when the switch is off current will not be able to reach the fan because the circuit is open. Again Auto / Water)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts