Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time posting on this forum. I have a 2006 sportsman 500 HO (carbureted). The cooling fan starts running as soon as the ignition is turned on, even though the engine is dead cold. I have tested the ohms on the coolant sensor and as per the service manual, it was out of spec so i replaced it (located in the left side of the cylinder head) still having the same issue! It seems like there is an electrical problem here, the service manual is not much help and after searching on this forum for a similar problem on a similar bike, all i can find is clogged raditor issues. So any help here is much appreciated! Is there a fuse or relay that controls fan function? and if so where is it located? thanks in advance,

-Mark, Va Beach, VA

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Pretty sure there was a recall on this issue. Get ahold of your local dealership and they will run your vin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure there was a recall on this issue. Get ahold of your local dealership and they will run your vin.
FUSE, thanks for the reply. Just called the local dealership, the ecm replacement recall has already been completed. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
200 Posts
FUSE, thanks for the reply. Just called the local dealership, the ecm replacement recall has already been completed. Any other suggestions?
Just had my ECM Replaced the other day and normally the fan running constantly means that the thermistor or coolant temp sensor is open, or the wires that run to it are unplugged where they go into the ECM, check under the little access cover the connector for the thermistor is a two pin and the wires should be yellow or yellow with a black stripe, check that and if they are connected then unplug the connector down on the engine side and check the resistance with a ohm meter, if is OL or overload it means you need a coolant temp sensor

EDIT: My bad! I didn't read the post all the way! Either way check that connector up by the ECM, The ECM contains a circuit breaker that when the thermistor gets too hot it trips and shuts the engine off, its possible that that breaker never reset. I had that Happen with mine in the middle of a mud pit, the fan was blocked with mud/snow and the engine got hot, that breaker tripped and never ever came back on. Luckily that recall hadn't been done on mine so I got a new ECM out of it anyways.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Temp sensor may be bad.... causing it to think it needs to run fan. Or it may also be a bad ecm..... one or the other!! :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PROBLEM FIXED! I checked under that cover by the handle bars where the ecm is and dig some digging around and found the 2 pin connector with yellow wires, 1 wire was broken and rubbed. Soldered and wrapped it up with some friction tape. BOOM! good to go.Thanks for all the tips guys, i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nice detective work! :fing02:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Nice work man:fing02:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out!