Polaris ATV Forum banner

fan switch location?

37K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jb1rd1185 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO EFI. It keeps overheating I beleive because the fan isn't always turning on when it should. where is the fan switch located? is this the problem or something else?
:werd:

#6 ·
I'm also having a similar problem of overheating. Rode through some muck today and ended up stopping the fan from being able to spin. Gotta love seeing that coolant boiling in the overflow reservoir....

Besides moving the radiator onto the front rack (I have a bag there) are there any other good tips for keeping things cool?

#7 ·
Problem Solved

so this is what I found out was wrong (why my fan wouldn't turn on) Zipper
and this is what my Clymer manual calls it. The fan circuit breaker. Text Line Font
NOT the fan switch as I had been told by someone else. The original is a 10 amp (as shown in Clymer manual) however the parts guy at the dealership told me that many of these were found to be under rated which makes sense because the fuse for the fan is a 20 amp and the relay is a 50 amp. So he suggested I replace it with this 20 amp Material property Technology Electronic device
It is located on the wire loom between the fan plug Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle
and the fuse block and was covered by a piece of electrical tape. I had to do some digging to find it and actually pulled it up from where it was to show for the photo. I used this test light Bumper
to check all of the other electrical connections such as the fuse block and relays. I also used it to test the circuit breaker. Simply put power to the copper pole and check the other to see if the circuit completes. Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.