Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2013 500 HO with a Polaris 2500 winch (50 ft cable) and 54" Polaris plow in November of 2013. It has 26" ripsaw tires and custom black wheels, front and rear brush guards.

After 3 months of use the winch cable is frayed 10 feet from the hook and it is difficult to spool and unspool. The spool switch is also working backwards.

The dealer is telling me they wont cover it as it as the cable is a wear and tear item. Its only 3 months old.

The Polaris plow manual states that it should have had a 3500lb winch and short cable installed for plowing as it would cause the 50 foot cable to wear prematurely.....but 3 months!!

Should I have to eat this or should H&K work with me on this??

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I hate to break it to you..... But this would be called wear..... and this ones on you!! Sorry, chalk this one up to a classic "live and learn" moment!!

I would install the shorter cable as recommended in the manual..... or many of use a boat winch strap from Walmart (or any "China Mart" for that matter). Duct tape the end on and spool it up, already has the hook on it!

As for the toggle working backwards.... My guess is that your cable is "pinched/bit on itself" and is now spooling backwards (if it once worked correctly). Try to free spool out the cable. If it only comes out so far and stops dead.... your in for a fight to get it off (if you want to attempt to save it).

I cut mine, lost about the first 5' only and re-swaged my hook back on. I now run the boat strap for plowing and put my metal cable back on in the summer.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Plowing is very hard on a winch. I see a lot of guys buy a $130 winch and destroy it in a season of plowing. Also see a lot of $300+ winches that go for many years. Sell quite a few of these to gus with plows to save their steel cable in the winter.

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=gotoProductDetails&id=606

You're going to have to fight the cable off and see what's going on with it. Like mentioned above, it likely bound up on itself and reversed on the spool somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
2 full seasons on my 120$ superwinch. Broke the cable once and it spooled up on itself. Pulled it off and a little pryiing and pulling with a screwdriver got it free. Cut off 3-4 feet with a cit off wheel and re attach the hook. Good ever since. You have be careful how much slack you give it, that will cause the cable to double over itself. That is your issue with the winch running backwards, as stated above

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also those "Polaris" winches made by Warn are not the greatest, the gear casing inside is plastic and they are not meant to last. You need to get a real Warn like an RT or MT or Vantage series winch. See other Winch thread for recommendations.
The quads are not designed for a plow......the plow is designed for the quad so there will be rubbing and odd angles for the winch on the quads. You have to expect wearing a cable out when all it does is go in and out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a Polaris winch from Warn and it is definitely all metal inside. I also have 3 3500 Polaris ones built in China I guess and except for the free spool knob which is its weak spot it is also all metal inside and surprising to me very robust. Just my observations.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It seems they have some different series throughout the years as now they offer the Polaris HD and what not. The ones they used to offer with the purchase of the atv or so much $ in accessories had a plastic casing for that outside gear to ride in would strip out. The gears inside are metal the actual planetary itself. they were all 2500# models.

In short if it says a name brand on it "Yamaha or Polaris" and Warn together just use caution especially from ebay sales might not be the winch you expect from Warn.

·
Registered
729 Posts
To free it up attach the hook to your truck hitch chain loop or something stationary (tree...etc) , place the winch in free spool position and slowly back up. It should easily pull free and unwind. May take a couple attempts. Now turn the knob back to lock it . Inside on the spool is a allenhead set screw that holds the cable in. Take the cable off and throw it away. Get the 20' boat trailer winch strap from Walmart with the hook on the end. Cut it in half and just put about 4" of package tape on the cut end, leave 2" for on the spool. Hold a little tension on the strap and slowly hit the in button and wind up. 2 or 3 lifts of the plow will tighten it up and your good to go.Very durable and lasts a long time.

Next buy a 50' synthetic winch rope for when plowing season is done. Very easy to remove the strap and put the rope on. Forget about cable its nothing but a pain in the ass!
Also buy yourself a aluminum hawse fairlead for $20 and replace the roller fairlead to use with the rope and strap. You'll never regret it and will have less headaches. Hope all this blabber helps.:). The winch is a pretty good winch and was reversing itself because it was getting pinched on itself. It should be fine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You can buy the rope , hawse fairlead and also a rubber fairlead protector from kfi .
Sounds like you may have been drawing the cable up too tight when lifting your plow. You don't want to lift it all the way up until it stops or pulls tight on the cable. On the other hand when lowering the plow when it hits the ground stop letting the cable out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts