Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '98 and a '10 sportsman 500 (HO) and am wondering what type of air filter everyone likes best? I drive in central texas (johnson city), where its usually either hot and dusty (really dusty) or wet and muddy. OEM, something that looks like OEM or one of those oil up type (uni or k&n etc.) and the reasoning. I just saw the videos on a uni, looks like lots of work to clean and oil, but I guess you save some $$$ over the long haul? assuming the foam doesnt fall apart too soon i guess. old timer here would seem to prefer a disposable filter but they sure are pricey + the outer sleeve cost some bucks too. :hmmm: lets see what ya'll think...

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I've got a '98 and a '10 sportsman 500 (HO) and am wondering what type of air filter everyone likes best? I drive in central texas (johnson city), where its usually either hot and dusty (really dusty) or wet and muddy. OEM, something that looks like OEM or one of those oil up type (uni or k&n etc.) and the reasoning. I just saw the videos on a uni, looks like lots of work to clean and oil, but I guess you save some $$$ over the long haul? assuming the foam doesnt fall apart too soon i guess. old timer here would seem to prefer a disposable filter but they sure are pricey + the outer sleeve cost some bucks too. :hmmm: lets see what ya'll think...
Personally, stick with the OEM Polaris filter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My sp800 had black spark plugs (too much fuel) as they all have from the factory.
Changed to a UNI filter and the plugs are now more to the brown... That would mean better flow from the UNI (according to me).

In the long run? probably a bit cheaper with foam. The good thing is that it is washable. You can wash it and oil it for every run if you want to :)

In motocross they use foamfilters and they ride in dusty conditions with engines that has extremley short service intervals.

If you ask Polaris they would probably recommend OEM so they can sell more air filters ;) "polaris OEM oil, Polaris OEM filter" and so on...

Have read bad things about K&N. But who knows...

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I prefer the OEM paper style filters. The outer sock can be washed with soapy water whenever needed, and it's only a few $ if you ever need to replace it. Only needed to replace one over the last 6 years. I don't believe any other filter type filters as well as paper. That is the reason they don't flow as much air, but more than plenty of flow for an un-modified engine.
A couple of filters a year is fine by me for the job they do.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I prefer the UNI if for only that if it gets wet or oily you can wash it out and reuse it. Paper you toss at that point in time and if it happens in the bush you can be in trouble. I have pulled mine, wrung it out (oil from tip) and was able to ride home where I washed it, re-oiled and went on my merry way.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I prefer a UNI filter but the factory unit is a very good second.

CW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts