Votes: 126 11.9%

• Total voters
681 - 697 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ram 3500
Far from stock, now pushing almost 700HP/1400TQ

Daily driver, but tows my 43' triple axle 5th wheel pretty well.

Attachments

·
10,303 Posts
Silverado 2500 Duramax w/ Allison tranny. This is the second one I've had. Custom 100 gal. fuel tank. With a 24' cargo trailer , 4 full-size ATVs with riders and two weeks worth of gear (approx. 15,000 lbs. GVW) it'll roll across country and high mountain passes with ease. I can do around 1,200-1,300 miles before needing to refuel according to how hard I push it lol.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Silverado 2500 Duramax w/ Allison tranny. This is the second one I've had. Custom 100 gal. fuel tank. With a 24' cargo trailer , 4 full-size ATVs with riders and two weeks worth of gear (approx. 15,000 lbs. GVW) it'll roll across country and high mountain passes with ease. I can do around 1,200-1,300 miles before needing to refuel according to how hard I push it lol.
Pictures?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Chevy without question.... Made more money working on fords and dodges than I ever did on chevys...I've owned them all...Chevy has always held up to my unforgiving driving and use....the others, not so much....

·
Registered
163 Posts
1/2 Ton-Dodge with coil rear suspension. Rides nice when unloaded..Not as good with weight as the others with leafs, but I am not loaded 99.9999% of the time.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
I'll be selling the our 12' Duramax. Going to get another Cummins!!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
A truck is a tool and no one made a truck that I like. I decided to build the best tool for the job. Started with a 97 Ford F350 Crew cab standard box (8ft). Then ripped the 460 gas hog out and installed a 96 12 valve Cummins. Used the 5 speed manual that was behind the 460 and all factory running gear. Installed real gauges to keep an eye on the vitals and then turned the fueling and boost up to keep up with traffic @ 20,000# gross. It's only making about 350hp 1000ft lbs but It does its job well. I still plan to install an auxiliary transmission for gear splitting and compound turbos for more pulling power but it works fine for now. It rides like a hay wagon but otherwise I love it.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Thanks! It was a big head ache.. now that some time has gone by it doesn't seem as bad. Its been 'finished' 3 years now, and has about 45k miles on the new engine. It was worth the effort. It's simple, easy to maintain and tows great.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Very cool!!!

A truck is a tool and no one made a truck that I like. I decided to build the best tool for the job. Started with a 97 Ford F350 Crew cab standard box (8ft). Then ripped the 460 gas hog out and installed a 96 12 valve Cummins. Used the 5 speed manual that was behind the 460 and all factory running gear. Installed real gauges to keep an eye on the vitals and then turned the fueling and boost up to keep up with traffic @ 20,000# gross. It's only making about 350hp 1000ft lbs but It does its job well. I still plan to install an auxiliary transmission for gear splitting and compound turbos for more pulling power but it works fine for now. It rides like a hay wagon but otherwise I love it.
View attachment 136259 View attachment 136260

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Chevy duramax/allison Pros: reliable engine trans, good fit and finish, quiet (engine and road noise), pretty good ride for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, good fuel mileage, low and easy to get in/out of, allison pretty reliable @ stock power, good aftermarket support and can reliably make good HP and torque but for more $$$.

Cons: stupid weak IFS with puny diff and tie rods, no locking hubs, rear diff also fairly weak yes I've seen a AAM 11.5 with bad pinion bearings @ 180k, allison trans will need upgraded in most cases if you want more than stock power. More complicated than nessasary.

RAM Cummins Pros: the most reliable and easy to work on engine, easy to Reliably and cheaply get huge Hp and tq, excellent aftermarket, mega cab has the most room, they look pretty good to me, best fuel mileage, best towing, aftermarket RAM transmissions can be built to handle huge power.

CONS: fit and finish about 5-10 year behind the other two, noisy rattley cabs, electrical gremlins fairly common, transmissions up till 2007 6spd auto were problematic in stock tune can be fixed aftermarket though, manual trans can be noisy, NOISY engine at least till 03 common rails are better 6.7s better still. Axles/ suspension are so so, no locking hubs, 30 spline axles on many models.

Ford Powerstroke PROS: 7.3 is reliable, 6.7 seems pretty reliable, good aftermarket support, E4OD and 4R100 trans can be built to handle huge power, 5r110 and 6r140 are darn tough from the factory, ZF manual transmissions are extremely tough stock, there are tons and tons of fords in fleets etc so parts are everywhere and ford parts seem to cross over to other models and years alot, the best axles and suspension, Dana 60 with locking hubs and 35 spline inners, Ford sterling 10.25/10.5 rear axles are bombproof and the components are huge, huge wheel bearings, huge pinion bearings, 35 spline axles, Coil spring 05 up ride decent turn great and are extremely tough.

CONS: 6.0 stock could be a POS but can be fixed aftermarket, 6.4 the same maybe worse some say there is no real 6.4 fix, 7.3 is pretty gutless, 7.3 is a NOISY engine, E4OD and 4R100 are fairly weak in factory tune but aftermarket can fix that, ZF manual trans can be noisy, steering is commonly wandery, fuel mileage not as good as the other two, maybe because they are soo heavy, aftermarket is there but it's $$$ to make big power, more complicated than nessasary.

That's my opinion :) your mileage may vary. The newer trucks are all pretty good but I'm too cheap (broke) to drop 20-80k on a truck at this point in my life.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We purchased a new ford ranger this past fall and quite happy with it. Its 275hp engine has been impressive.

681 - 697 of 697 Posts