Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 sportsman 500HO seems to be getting fuel, getting 12V to spark plug boot but can't get spark out of 3 different new plugs? Is 12V the right voltage coming out of the boot? tested plugs in lawn mower and getting lots of spark threw it?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:biggthumpup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Might be a dead coil.

Did you check for spark with the plug out of the engine - ground it against the head and hit the starter? Put the lawnmower plug in and see if there is spark through it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, tested plug out of engine. I am getting continuity threw the coil, could the coil still be bad even if I get 12V to the boot? Thinking maybe the boot is the problem...?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok the coil sounds like its alright. Sometimes the boots are hard to get off the plugs. The boot might have pulled out of the conductor from the coil wire. Auto parts store may have a replacement spark plug boot available. I'd think I'd try that first as I'm sure the Polaris coil is pricey - at least for trouble shooting purposes.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well that voltage is going to be huge. Like something greater than 1kV - 50kV on some MSD systems for automotive applications. Thats what the coil does. It takes battery power, or 12VDC from the source, and through induction amplifies the voltage in the secondary windings of the coil, thus stepping the voltage up to a level large enough to jump the gap across the anode (-) to the electrode (+) on the spark plug. This is not something you can measure with your typical DMM. A.) Because the level is so big, B) Because it happens so fast. You could measure it using a digital oscilloscope if you applied the proper attenuation at the front end.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Does anyone here know how to test the stator on a 500HO?

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just injecting this: a coil is a step up tranformer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts