Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
How about a photo? I have no idea what a trailer dog is.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I hope I never see Fireman Dan showing up at my house.... He would probably stand and tell me "don't worry about the fire there's enough wood in the attic to build a new house"!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I did not send a picture of the trailer dog that I made. I thought a lot of people who trailer there atv knew what I was talking about. It just eliminates straps to secure atv, I also use my winch cable to secure front of atv. I was just wondering what would be the best way to secure trailer dog to trailer, possibly a piece of steel angle or steel plate under trailer floor, bolted through not sure. Thought maybe some people might have a few ideas. Thanks Dan Next time I post something I will send pictures. LOL I think some people had fun with this post which is great.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Looks too complicated - I just attach two tie downs from the handlebars to the front corners of the trailer and GO!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everytime I used straps to tie down my atv, they would come loose after awhile, using the trailer dog this does not happen.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Must have been the straps - mine has never come loose with the straps I use, but I do check and re-cinch if necessary at every rest or fuel stop and I don't use ratchet straps

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Never use the winch to tie down the front of your ATV. A winch is not designed to be used in that manner. A winch is designed to pull, not to secure a load.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Yeah, the problem with using the winch to tie down is that it can tighten up on the spool as you go down the road and bind up the winch rope so you can't get it off. And I would agree that if you put a plate on the underside of the trailer like you talked about, that should be good to hold your machine. Then throw 2 straps on the front like Latebird said and you should be good. 2 straps to opposite corners at the front will keep the front from flopping around. I will want to move right and left as you go down the road. I like to tighten the straps against the suspension a bit to help keep them tight. We have the shock straps at work and they sit in the truck. Neither me nor the other transport guy like them. Maybe OK for an ATV, but we do mostly side by sides. Maybe I am paranoid, but I don't like any slack in my straps.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Shock Straps take up the slack. Always tension on them, unlike ratchet straps that are prone to loosen under load shift. Each strap rated at 2000 lbs of working load limit x 4 straps = 8000 lb of strength for a 800 lb Atv.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts