Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my question. I want to stay stock size 26 ' s but want a tougher tire. I'm not a big murder but I do ride fast so I do not want real heavy tires...Please help

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
With all that power there are a lot of tires available to u. Grim reapers, rockers, growlers, ripsaws, rocktanes, but I would recommend bighorns.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Bighorns are the lightest tire in the top tier of tires.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been thinking about big horns
Meet a guy on the trail the other day and he had big horn 2.0 said he liked them but that he gets lots of flats

·
Registered
434 Posts
Curb, I bought a used set of Bighorns off a guy so I have no idea what he did with them, but every tire has a plug in them. They are about 3/4 of tread left so they weren't bald.

I like the looks of the Bighorn and so far have been pleased with the minimal miles I've put on them, but I am really considering something different in a few months. I am quite intrigued with the ITP Black Water Evolutions. 8 ply tire too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Meet a guy on the trail the other day and he had big horn 2.0 said he liked them but that he gets lots of flats
The BH 2.0 is thinner and lighter than the originals. I have BigHorns on my rigs and so do my friends. We won't buy anything else, including the 2.0.

I have plugged a few BigHorns. A nail will go through any tire. I was even able to plug a sidewall rip on one of them because the sidewalls are so stiff.

The tread lasts forever, they hook up great, and you can run them low pressure without bead locks. They're great tires.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Curb....check out the kenda bear claw HTR...they are not heavy..radial..and 8 ply...i must say side wall is thick...nice tread design also....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take a look at the ITP Baja Cross. Not the lightest tire out there but is supposed to be tough as nails, have amazing grip and wear slowly.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
I think the BH suffer the same stereotypes our polaris's do. They are so popular that the amount of problems u hear about them becomes more common. I also have a buddy that dislikes bighorns because of the flats. He drives he's rzr like a maniac and no matter what he had on that RZR he would get flats. I also have had a flat on my bigs, pinched side wall. One plug fixed it and it was rider error. Honestly though the tires I mentioned and black diamond xtr's are all very stout capable tires. Check them out see what u like compare the weights (I say this cause I know our into keeping those pony's).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Friend of mine runs big horns on his grizzly. he rides hard and swears by them. i just bought some for the 570.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok here is my question. I want to stay stock size 26 ' s but want a tougher tire. I'm not a big murder but I do ride fast so I do not want real heavy tires...Please help
In my experience you don't want BHs to go fast in the woods. I race XC on my Scrambler and was surprised at how much push I get out of BHs in the corners. I am running Maxxis 4Speed tires this season and hoping they do better.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you're rocking a scrambler 1000, don't worry about the tire weight. you won't get to heavy for the machine if you're staying the stock diameter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Had a lot of tires my favorites .
I run 26x9 inch wide on all 4's have never tried on stock rims however. I like the light weight HD1's slik-kote. Running lightweight HD1's and 9" in back offsets the extra weight of the tires.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I get one flat per tire then

load it up with Fixaflat. Laugh it you want, but i Never get another flat in that tire. I ride right thru and over tons of cactus, 3-4 feet tall w/1-4 inch spines, no problems once fix a flat in 'em. It also helps to have 6ply tires. woohoo! :cowboy:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
archer I love the bear claw HTR tires....the side walls are so thick..I got 2 on before the snow came...was doing them outside..garage full of bikes and equipment now...but tried them today going up an Ice covered mountain road...they bite nice...i will be plowing with in the morning...big storm coming..thats my big test....may drive to buddies garage to get fronts on ...lol....

these tires should not be over looked...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I see one thing that might be a reason for flats with certain tread designs. That is the distance between the lugs on the tread. A sharp pointy rock or stick has a lot of room to dive in between and penetrate the casing. I like the design of the 'Grim Reapers' because the center is almost totally "rubber on the road" if you will. I have not had a flat yet, but have pulled a couple of nails from the lugs. It depends on what kind of terrain you ride. But a tire designed more for mud traction is probably not your best bet for other conditions. (woods and rocks)
I don't have much mud to play in, but I can tell you the 'Reapers' have given me much better traction for all around use. Snowplowing is much easier and sometimes I don't have to use AWD. I do add weight to the rear end and that helps a lot too. Amazing what an ammo can full of lead weighs....

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do they come with those shitty 489's?
I saw them at the dealership when I went to pick mine up and had them put Bighorns on immediately.
Why do they put such garbage tires on a $10K+ quad?

·
Registered
377 Posts
They put garbage tires on expensive ORVs to keep the price competitive, because consumers have such varied opinions on tires and are likely to replace them anyway, and because they're getting kickbacks or deep discounts from tire manufacturers to use their tires on specific production runs.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts