Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my brand new Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's mounted on my '04 Sportsman 700. I went with the 26 X 9 front and 26 X 12 rear. I was a little worried about fit because the stock tires were 25 X 8 and 25 X 11. Plus the Maxxis website says the BH 2.0's actually measure 26.5 front and 26.7 rear.
Happy to report that nothing is rubbing and I don't have a lift or spacers. EDIT: I did have to trim my fender flares quite bit. Went on a good ride and the front tires were rubbing each time the suspension compressed The only suspension mod I have is HD springs. As an added bonus, I gained an inch of clearance.:veryhappy:

Required gratuitous photo.
Before

After

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks good! I went with 28" bighorn 2.0s on my 850 here a pic of them mounted up, but haven't ridden any trails yet. Love the look of them though

Picture kinda turned out funny.. I'll take another one later then post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I didn't think they made the 2.0's in anything larger than 26's? 28's aren't even an option for me. But I am thinking 27's on the wife's '07 next month. If I can get the 2.0 in 27" that would be great. I thought I was going to have to get original BH's for her.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neverming. I just looked. You have 14" rims. Got it

·
Registered
365 Posts
You should be fine with original bighorns on your wife's bike, these are both 26" tires, look how bigger the bighorn is

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
Kicker u bought the right meats know it's time for HMT. I have 1200 miles on my 2.0's and they have served me well. I think u should buy the original bigs for wifey and then u can do a comparison and let use know what u think of the two.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BP. Only 3 more months to HMT. YAY!!!
I think I will put 27" original Bighorn's on the wife's. just gotta wait for a couple more paychecks. Unfortunately she isn't going to HMT with me and she rarely rides aggressively enough to use the tires. But she does need some new meats soon. And since everyone says the don't wear much, I'll call it a solid investment anyway.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks BP. Only 3 more months to HMT. YAY!!!
I think I will put 27" original Bighorn's on the wife's. just gotta wait for a couple more paychecks. Unfortunately she isn't going to HMT with me and she rarely rides aggressively enough to use the tires. But she does need some new meats soon. And since everyone says the don't wear much, I'll call it a solid investment anyway.
What rim size is her quad? If there 12s take a look at the Rocky Mountain "tusk" tires. Same tread pattern as bighorns, great reviews, and a lot lower price.
If they had them in 14" I would have bought them for my 850.
I'll post a link to them later on

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Moto. But those don't seem to come in 27". Both machines are 12" rims. Still running stock. Also I read some reviews that said they were running almost an inch smaller than stated. So even if I ordered the 26's, I'd be getting 25's, which is smaller than stock. Not the direction I was looking to go.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh I thought I seen they came in 27s guess not.. But like you said, I would defently go for the original bighorns in 26

Kinda wishing I did over the big horn 2.0s but too late now.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
Kicker u r definitely on the right track can't go wrong with either bigs. The tusk tires run a whole inch smaller then the bigs, have less tread depth, and run 4 lbs per tire heavier then the bigs. There is a reason there are so many copies of the bighorns on the market.

Moto the subtle differences between the 2 BH's is minimal and it's give and take. U can't go wrong with either tire. U made I fine choice in the 2.0's, I am more then pleased with mine.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've pretty much convinced myself on the original BH's in 27". Though my second choice was the Black Diamond XTR's in 27". When I get them, I may just have to see if they will fit on my '04. Maybe keep them for myself and let the wife have the 26's.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
I've pretty much convinced myself on the original BH's in 27". Though my second choice was the Black Diamond XTR's in 27". When I get them, I may just have to see if they will fit on my '04. Maybe keep them for myself and let the wife have the 26's.
My buddy runs an outty 1G and just picked up a set of BD XTR's in 26" 9 up front 11 on the rear on his stock rims. They run small he says he wish he would have went 27".

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After looking again at the tread pattern on the BD XTR's, it is much more a directional mud tire than an all around trail tire. Looks more like the stock Carlisle 489's. We ride enough hard ball that the wife wore a set of stock tires pretty quick. Wore the front edge of that centerline lug down to almost nothing. So the BH's it will be. I may need another few hours of overtime, but I'll get them soon.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put 60 miles on the tires today. I ended up having to trim my fenders quite a bit due to rubbing when the suspension compressed in the front. And it still may not be totally solved. :ponder:
Will have to hit the trail again in a few days to try it after the trimming. If it is still a problem, the wife may be getting these 26's while I order myself a set of 25's.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had to trim a lot under the front fenders, where the fender & the fender flare meet, to fit the 26" mud trax xl's on mine. I also put HD springs and gas charged struts on the front suspension. I rarely put a tire in the fender now and the performance and ride is great. IIRC my 700 is the same year/body as yours.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same part I trimmed a lot of. May have to do more. How did you keep the fender and flare together after the trimming?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I spent yesterday in the shop. I ended up trimming ALL the plastic protruding forward from where the fender flare meets the fender well. I then used some small machine screws, washers, and nuts to bolt on a 4"x6" aluminum plate that I fashioned to hold the two peices together. Keeps the fender flare where it needs to be without protruding into the wheel well. NO MORE RUBBING, even over the biggest bump I can find on the farm. :veryhappy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts