Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 1997 sportsman 500 about a week ago and wanted to do a basic tune-up because it was bogging down at full throttle. Initially I thought air, so I checked the filter and it needed to be cleaned and a cover was on it from previous owner :motz:. So i took it off and cleaned it and now its running great!
So I wanted to do a basic tune-up and I saw they take two quarts of 0w-40 synthetic and I drained it and refilled. (-8 oz because of crank case). Is it that essential to do crank case? My bolt is on there pretty good and I didn't wanna really get into it today because its 15 degrees outside. Any other tips on tuning up or words of wisdom would be great to know :) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I just drain the reservoir on mine. You might want to change the fuel filter. Do you have any service records? How many miles/hours on it? These 500s are pretty reliable units. If it was taken care of you should be able to get many more miles of use from it. Any pics to share??

·
Registered
426 Posts
I always drain my crankcase, but it's not an absolute must. If you're doing regular oil changes it's not going to hurt anything to leave a little bit of old oil in there.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
does any one do the run for 10 secs to get the sump oil out instead of removing the drain plug on motor
I don't worry about such a small amount. I don't let my oil get that dirty between changes. Fresh oil and filter and away we go!
Oh....and a few shots of grease too. ; )

·
Registered
426 Posts
does any one do the run for 10 secs to get the sump oil out instead of removing the drain plug on motor
I know lots of people do it with no problems, but there's no way I'm going to start an engine with the oil drained. It takes me 10 seconds to remove the plug.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I know lots of people do it with no problems, but there's no way I'm going to start an engine with the oil drained. It takes me 10 seconds to remove the plug.

Yupp, same here. Still take the running board off, kinda reluctant to try going in from underneath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I didn't wanna run it dry and that bottom bolt was really on there too good for me tonight. No service record and the speedo/tac doesn't work so no recorded hours/miles. In good shape, no rust really everything works as it should.
My Biggest concerns are getting fluids and tuneup done, then figuring out why 4wd only works in Lo. Not high... Any clues??
Also do you guys run 93 octane? I also added some seafoam to try and help clean her out a little bit. Thanks guys any general knowledge on these would be great!
Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
you can see crankcase bolt from emer brake hole

on left side. while looking thru hole to bolt, mount your box/open end wrench to loosen, drain and reverse process to replace bolt. Its EZ and completes an otherwise good oil change (who Really wants to leave 12.5 percent dirty oil behind?). Your quad also has a magnetic drain bolt on the tank. Clean it off and check that it can 'snap' quick to a metal object, it should hold pretty tight. If its seems weak replace it. Use bikebandit or fixmytoys for your parts (OEM or aftermarket - everyone else chime in w/your favs). Your oil tank has a screen, mine are usually very clean and not near worth the effort to remove and "clean". If you do remove, you must prime pump. Here is a site for a 96-98 technical manual. It has info on all this and much more. It takes a while to download (at least on my wimpy uverse connection) but once it does you can save it as a pdf. Best of luck & enjoy! http://gh-ftp.com/ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models/1996 - 1998 Polaris All Models Service Manual.pdf

:cowboy:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The mechanic at my dealer told me it's not worth it to drain the sump. My first change I did but I'm do for my second change and I think I'll listen to him.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
87 octane is all you need. Get more power from lower octane unless you are combating a engine nock which I doubt, Seafoam is always a great option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just know that 93 burns a lot cleaner, so that was my main concern. Also what do they call for in the manual? I mean the money isn't really that big of a difference so I'd prefer to run it cleaner and keep it longer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I just know that 93 burns a lot cleaner, so that was my main concern. Also what do they call for in the manual? I mean the money isn't really that big of a difference so I'd prefer to run it cleaner and keep it longer. Any ideas?
That is a myth. Higher octane fuels were needed for higher compression engines. But with direct injection and VVT that is no longer true.

87 is all you need, any higher is a waste of money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts