Polaris ATV Forum banner

How big of ATV cc wise is big enough for a real man?

• 500cc

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • 570cc

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • 700cc

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 800cc

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • 850cc

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • 1000cc

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
can you handle it

i think the question is realy how much power can you realy handle and use. iv seen people on big machines that realy had no buisness on them. they would be better off with a smaller one and learn how to ride and get the feel for it. alot of people get hurt and killed on machines that are way out of their leage. everyone thinks they are a pro when they get on a wheeler or bike. I would like to see more people take their time and work their way up. If you have been riding for a long time get what you like. I ride a trx 450 set up for cross country racing and its a 2 wheel drive. Im ahead of all my buds on 4x4s until it comes to mud and uphills only a 4x4 will go up. when i just want to crawl around i pull out my sportsman 450 4x4. im more into speed and power. i have no probs with the big machines and like them alot but i would rather have a machine i can get through the woods and if i do have to push it or move it around i can.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i think the question is realy how much power can you realy handle and use. iv seen people on big machines that realy had no buisness on them. they would be better off with a smaller one and learn how to ride and get the feel for it. alot of people get hurt and killed on machines that are way out of their leage. everyone thinks they are a pro when they get on a wheeler or bike. I would like to see more people take their time and work their way up. If you have been riding for a long time get what you like. I ride a trx 450 set up for cross country racing and its a 2 wheel drive. Im ahead of all my buds on 4x4s until it comes to mud and uphills only a 4x4 will go up. when i just want to crawl around i pull out my sportsman 450 4x4. im more into speed and power. i have no probs with the big machines and like them alot but i would rather have a machine i can get through the woods and if i do have to push it or move it around i can.
ill agree with this. i started on a 83 185s 3 wheeler. then got a 87 250 sport kawi. then got a 00 335 sportsman. now i have a 08 500 sportsman. im slowly climbing the staires. lol but some one going from nothing to something they have no exsperiance on can be deadly and scary. since the user has no clue on how to use it. ill give ya and exsample. about 3 yrs ago. there were a group of 20ish yr olds at a local mall. 2 had crotch rockets. one drove a car. and was either working on the motorcycle licance, or had it. but didnt have no real exspearince on one. the one guy had a brand new bike. so the guy that drove the car asked to drive round the parking lot with it. the guy with the bike said "ok". well the guy got on. took half a lap. almost tiped it. but insted panic'ed and cracked the gas. did some what of a wheeie. and the bike took a b line right at te mall wall. well he whent face first into the wall. i know he was in critical condtion for about 2 weeks. i dont know if he died or what happend. but there was blood on the wall for a few weeks. iv also seen other people being dumb on bikes. then ended up leaving in a ambulance. not a good idea to show off if you dont know what your doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
size matter?

A 450 Foreman, 660 Grizzly, 300 Fourtrax, Suzuki Eiger, 650 Rincon and I haven't picked up the new 550 XP (this weekend). Tell ya the truth I had more fun on that 300 Fourtrax than any other. I couldn't keep the rubber on the ground with the Grizzly and the Foreman was to much of a tractor. The Eiger was a close second to the 300. The Rincon is the smoothest bike I've ever sat on but the lack of a locking diff and engine brake not good. I'll let you know about the XP in a few days.

·
Registered
563 Posts
For mud bogs and drag races you need all the HP you can get usually.Trail riding is a whole different game,how does that saying go "dont bite off more than you can chew" or you might end up in a seat with 4 wheels but not an atv,or worse,dead!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a new Sportsman 700 back in 2005 and loved it, that is untill the new XP550 came out. WOW what a machine. I find that a 500 is nice, a 700 is nicer but the new 550XP it just as good as my 700!! As for the 850XP, I might sound crazy but it seems like all it does is get stuck faster. Yeah it is a faster more powerful machine but if I wanna go fast, I will buy a Outlaw

·
Registered
4 Posts
well the more power the better but the bigger the engine size the larger the atv and the trails around here are barely enough to get my 400 sportsman through

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got the 550 unloaded last night about 11pm and couldn't just put it away. I took it on a road trip (I live out in the boonies) and it's smooth as silk. My first impression is the EPS is worth it, it's not as quick as my Rincon, the tranny is as good as I've ever ridden and it's the best looking bike out there, bar none. I'm going on a 3 day ride to Brimstone over the 4th of July, I'll let you knpow more when I get back.

darrell4wd

·
Registered
563 Posts
I rode some trails with a Can Am outlander 800 that was piped(HMF I think) and my 550 XP is not this past weekend.We rode extremely hard.He pulled away in the straight aways naturally,(what few there were)but not as much as I thought,but when it comes to sliding them around a switchback and overall handling,I was on him like stink on sh*t.I definately got roosted with rocks and mud(lol).There were a few times I could have been beside of him or maybe passed him(he is a really good rider also),but the trails were too narrow for that.He finally stopped and I guess he thought he lost me.He couldn't believe that I was right up his a$$.Dont get me wrong,the 550 XP wont out run some of the bigger cc atv's in a drag race,but when it comes to handling (and as long as you know how to handle riding that fast on tight trails and across some pretty tough terrain),they are alot better than any other factory utilty atv.I think Polaris did a pretty good job on the suspension.Hopefully everything else on them hold up good.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah they don't handle too bad but I've noticed mine likes to push through turns, especially when trying to accelerate. Is there anyway to fix that or am I just not riding right?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Bigger/heavier atv's do push in a turn because of the weight.You just need to get a little practice in,to get the feel for it.Be careful though,not only will they push but they will also roll over.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I've had many a times that it tips a little but I'm pretty decent at keeping my body weight on the inside of the turn and leaning with it. And I'm definitely not going to crazy on this thing. With all the money I have invested in just the machine itself I'm definitely not wanting to break it or put it out of commission.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Went with the 850 to haul around my 250lbs.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts