Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and really digging all of the information I am coming across! I'm a Diesel technician by trade, Looking to add a few bolt-ons to my 2018 sportsman 850 sp for a trip I will be taking soon. We are going to Taylor trails in Colorado. Elevation there is roughly 8,000 feet. That's gonna be a fat 24% power loss roughly. Before our trip I am looking at doing a snorkel kit, slip on exhaust, going to just slightly bigger itp mud lite tires. Looking for recommendations on which slip-ons guys and gals like as well as snorkel and intake systems that may potentially add even slight power without cracking open the engine. will possibly do a clutch kit as well if the performance gain is worth the $$$. Machine is bone stock as of right now. also would like to know which parts like to fail commonly and what tools yall are luggin around with ya! Thanks and Happy/safe riding!

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Clutch kit yes!! QSC from RVSPerformance will do it. Slip-on RJWC makes a nice exhaust. But chk with RVS as they do kits in the form of stages. So if you go up in "Stage" you'll do a clutch kit, tune, intake, and exhaust.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Snorkel - Triangle or SYA Both improve air flow which with a tune will increase HP

Exhaust - personally I like the RJWC dual slip on. Need a tune if you run an exhaust.

Tune - RVS Performance Stage 3 for exhaust and intake upgrades, +8 HP

Clutch - QSC from RVS Performance

If your gonna run bigger tires you’ll want a clutch kit, it makes engagement so much smoother and you gain back the lost performance due to upsizing. You may want to upgrade your pinion cover, 2018 comes with steel and are supposed to be better but lots of guys still change them out. Get the billet aluminum throttle lever as that tends to break and it would suck if your deep in the trail with that broken. For tools you’ll get a mixed response. Some people carry their entire garage while others just a zip tie. I like to carry enough tools to be able to take my wheel off and clutch cover off to replace the belt if necessary (get a spare belt), pliers, various screw drivers and zip ties.

·
10,595 Posts
I fail to understand WHY you'd want to snorkel a machine that you are taking to a high-mountain semi-arid environment?? There ain't no deep water to need snorkels that restrict air flow??
Put on some taller tires, skid plates, a Rotopax mount and maybe a light. Clean out the spark arrestor, and if you really feel the need, change the primary clutch weights to the high altitude ones recommended for that machine and go ride the Divide! Forget about all the rest of that foolishness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snorkel - Triangle or SYA Both improve air flow which with a tune will increase HP

Exhaust - personally I like the RJWC dual slip on. Need a tune if you run an exhaust.

Tune - RVS Performance Stage 3 for exhaust and intake upgrades, +8 HP

Clutch - QSC from RVS Performance

If your gonna run bigger tires you’ll want a clutch kit, it makes engagement so much smoother and you gain back the lost performance due to upsizing. You may want to upgrade your pinion cover, 2018 comes with steel and are supposed to be better but lots of guys still change them out. Get the billet aluminum throttle lever as that tends to break and it would suck if your deep in the trail with that broken. For tools you’ll get a mixed response. Some people carry their entire garage while others just a zip tie. I like to carry enough tools to be able to take my wheel off and clutch cover off to replace the belt if necessary (get a spare belt), pliers, various screw drivers and zip ties.

Thanks for your input! will def be looking and researching into those parts!

·
10,595 Posts
Oh... I forgot about hand/thumb warmers and GOOD raingear... those items are REALLY nice when you're at 11,000+ feet elevation and it starts to snow/sleet in mid July and August lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fail to understand WHY you'd want to snorkel a machine that you are taking to a high-mountain semi-arid environment?? There ain't no deep water to need snorkels that restrict air flow??
Put on some taller tires, skid plates, a Rotopax mount and maybe a light. Clean out the spark arrestor, and if you really feel the need, change the primary clutch weights to the high altitude ones recommended for that machine and go ride the Divide! Forget about all the rest of that foolishness.
thanks for the info polman, ill most likely be snorkeling when i get back home to Minnesota. i do enjoy dipping into some water/mud from time to time. I agree that in the higher altitude a snorkel would seem to possibly restrict airflow and wouldn't necessarily be used in in mountain trail riding . Some say certain snorkel kits actually make the engine breathe better if paired up with a exhaust an tune. ill make sure to keep doing research before making decisions. thanks again for your input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts