Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'd like to thank anyone in advance for your help and ideas. I just purchased a used 2001 Trail Boss 325. I drove it in the desert behind my house a dozen times so far, no longer than 5-15 minutes each time. The other day I rode it out of the garage and it was bogging really bad. I pulled the plug and it was solid black. I got a replacement, gapped it per spec .036 and it runs like a champ. This is all good except for the fact that now there's a clicking sound coming from the motor (I can only assume) during high accelleration, but not at idle or going slow. The clicking keeps pace with motor accelleration.

WTF is this noise?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thank you again for any assistance!

-Jay

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Does the clicking increase when out of gear and just gunning the engine or only when in gear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only in gear Bruce. It does not sound at idle. I even lifted the rear end up on stands and ran it, hoping t be able to find the source standing off the bike to no avail...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 trail boss 325 along with about 8 of my aunt and uncles, All trail bosses. This has happened to every single one of these machines. It is the chain. Ours would only clunk when in drive and as you got going faster the clunking would get faster and faster and was extremely loud. Those O-ring chains are junk and we replaced ours with a standard non o-ring chain. To get rid of the clunking noise you need to keep the chain well lubricated at all times. There is a product on the market with a name something like Chain Wax(Aerosol can). You ride your machine for awhile to get the chain hot, then apply the spray and when it cools it makes that real thick wax like when you purchase a new chain. Hope this helps and good luck

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Yea I had a chain on my motorcycle go bad, it looked ok but man did it start making a racket!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2002 trail boss 325 along with about 8 of my aunt and uncles, All trail bosses. This has happened to every single one of these machines. It is the chain. Ours would only clunk when in drive and as you got going faster the clunking would get faster and faster and was extremely loud. Those O-ring chains are junk and we replaced ours with a standard non o-ring chain. To get rid of the clunking noise you need to keep the chain well lubricated at all times. There is a product on the market with a name something like Chain Wax(Aerosol can). You ride your machine for awhile to get the chain hot, then apply the spray and when it cools it makes that real thick wax like when you purchase a new chain. Hope this helps and good luck
WOW thanks so much brother! I'll go down to my local ATV shop and get some, I hope it helps!! Gotta get a new air and oil filter anyway...

Jay-

·
Registered
42 Posts
WOW thanks so much brother! I'll go down to my local ATV shop and get some, I hope it helps!! Gotta get a new air and oil filter anyway...

Jay-
So did this take care of your ticking? Just curious, I have a 2002 trailboss that ticks as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just take the chain loose and put it in gear and see if it still makes the noise. If you ride in the desert keep the o-ring or X-ring chain, if you run a regular roller hain you will trash it pretty quick!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts