Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good to see a nice forum for this quad! I have had a few dirt bikes over the years, and 16+ streetbikes ranging from a cruiser, to full on sportbikes and track bikes, etc...

Decided to get a quad this time around, my last dirt bike being a CRF250x. Wanted something a bit kinder to my 41 year old frame, more versatile, etc...

Rode my girlfriend's 400EX and my buddy's new YZF450r. Liked them a lot, but I am a bit big for them, at 6'4 and 240lbs. I rode the 450r at Durhamtown on New Years day, and the mud in spots was horrendous. Got stuck in it SEVEN TIMES. Buried the swingarm and it stuck there like glue, thick goopy mud up to my knees.

Decided right then and there that a sport quad was not for me. So I wanted something reasonably powerful, 4 wheel drive, IRS, etc... The best bang for the buck seemed to be this new Polaris 570.

So I picked one up, and here I am.

I fiddle to no end on my streetbikes... suspension, brakes, exhaust and tuning, etc... I think that I will keep that to a minimum on this Quad. I want something to just get on and go, minimal amount of fuss, etc...

I don't want to make it really loud by adding exhaust, then have it run lean and require tuning, etc... That's fine on my street/track bike where you want the sound and performance, but for trail riding, some light muddin... I think it is probably fine stock?

Now, is there any simple, cheap "must do" types of mods for this quad? I see the 3 light mod and a few others, but to be honest, unless I ride at night and feel I need the extra lumens, I will probably leave that stock. I got a 2" ball hitch and 20' tow strap for getting my sport quad friends out of the mud, but I will probably get myself a winch at some point...

I see a lot of people swapping out wheels and tires, but I will give the stockers a try before investing any money. I see some broken axles, that so far seems to be the one item to be careful of?

Just looking for ideas and advice on the basics... Never owned a quad, let alone this particular one, so I am sorta starting from square 1.

I will have the dealer do the first 15 hour service, but after that I can probably do my own fluid changes, greasing and general maintenance... leaving the valves and more complex stuff to the dealer.

I know that it is poor form to start an oil thread, been on motorcycle forums for 15 years... LOL However, any problem with using Mobil1, or Shell Rotella T6 5w-40?

I have been using the Shell Rotella Full synthetic in all of my bikes, for years. Seems to be the best oil for the money, never had a problem... However, I don't know if 5W-40 is an acceptable weight?

I change my oil on the street bikes every 1,500 miles or after a track day, whichever comes first. What is the consensus on this machine?

I will probably just use OEM oil filters, or a K&N if they sell one...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Best mods - TIRE AND A CLUTCH KIT. Stock tires are shit and will work no better than slicks in gummy mud. And nothing will wake up your quad like a clutch kit, performance wise.

As far as the axles go, just don't "gun it" in mud holes. People hit rocks/branches, etc under the mud and water and when the wheel just "stops" abruptly, it breaks an axle. 99% of the broken axle stories you will hear on here, are from retards with lifted quads, with stock axles. And people who don't know how to ride properly.

When it comes to oil, almost everyone on this forum uses 0-40 mobil 1. and napa, bosch, purolater filters. There are a ton of threads about oil, just do a search to find all the part numbers. The duration for oil changes is in your manual.

I used to ride 2 stroke dirt bikes and 450's also, and believe me, I don't miss them one bit! I have ALOT more fun atv'ing ANYDAY! Enjoy the new machine!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Many broke axles are on larger more powerful quads with larger tires. Besides gunning it in the mud, having the wheels turned fully to either side or somehow getting a bad angle on the cv joints and gunning it is bad. You'll be Ok with your 570.

Ride your stock tires and clutching. Maybe you'll like them. Most do. If not upgrade. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ Don't kid yourself, the 570 has more than enough power to pop axles!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting... What does a decent clutch kit cost, and what is involved in installing it?

I am not too interesting in tuning or making more power out of the motor, I want reliability more than anything else... but if there is a better way to put that power to the ground? I am interested if it is reasonably cost effective.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for oil, I will just continue to use the Rotella T6... Not much of a viscosity difference between 0w-40 and 5w-40, at least once it is warmed up.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The t6 will be fine.

Ridinagain is a member on here, and he is a retailer for QSC clutches (which are a fav on this forum)

Most of the clutch kits from QSC are around 219$ but it depends on whether you need a helix or not. Best to ask him! Basically the clutches from factory are set up for a balence of low end power and top speed, and set to 25" tires. He can get you a set up for say, more low to mid range, and only lose 1-2 mph top speed. and set up for 26-27" tires.

I can honestly say that my QSC clutch was the best mod I bought.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The t6 will be fine.

Ridinagain is a member on here, and he is a retailer for QSC clutches (which are a fav on this forum)

Most of the clutch kits from QSC are around 219$ but it depends on whether you need a helix or not. Best to ask him! Basically the clutches from factory are set up for a balence of low end power and top speed, and set to 25" tires. He can get you a set up for say, more low to mid range, and only lose 1-2 mph top speed. and set up for 26-27" tires.

I can honestly say that my QSC clutch was the best mod I bought.
Cool. I was just looking at a Dalton unit, but if the "go to" kit is the QSC, I will look at that. Have that guy reach out to me! haha

So what does it do? Is it like changing the front sprocket on a street bike or dirt bike? Going down a tooth to pick up more acceleration, while giving up a tiny bit up top?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I too am curious for my 570. I have the 26" ripsaw tires, the quad doesn't feel slow by any means, it will pull the front up in grass pretty easy.
But if there is a better alternative to put down the power, why not?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I been using the rotella T-6 for years on Quads...never a problem..I add 2-3 ozs of a molly ZDDP additive for start ups not a tap in the engine....I use amsoil for the rest of lube spots..but i do use the Demand Drive plus for the AWD.....for 8.95 a quart I get a few years out of it....I run the T-6 in my Triumph Daytona 955I also...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, looks like we are good on oil... I will investigate the clutch upgrade, the two popular ones seem to be the QSC and the Dalton?

From what I can gather, this is akin to a gearing change... Altering the final drive ratio a bit?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Cool, looks like we are good on oil... I will investigate the clutch upgrade, the two popular ones seem to be the QSC and the Dalton?

From what I can gather, this is akin to a gearing change... Altering the final drive ratio a bit?
No. Well kinda. It adjusts when and how strongly the clutch engages at different engine speeds and also how fast/quick/slow it up shifts or backshifts.

For most set ups, guys have them set to engage stronger at the low to mid rpms.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

No. Well kinda. It adjusts when and how strongly the clutch engages at different engine speeds and also how fast/quick/slow it up shifts or backshifts.

So is it more just like a tension thing, like setting a slipper clutch?

I realize that mechanically they may be different operations, I am more referring to what the end result is, or feels like, if that makes sense.

Not knowing how a CVT system works, I am trying to draw a parallel to the streetbike world that I am familiar with. :)

So is it possible to just do something simple like adjusting spring tension, maybe my adding spacers, to get it to engage a little "stronger"?

·
Registered
944 Posts

So is it more just like a tension thing, like setting a slipper clutch?

I realize that mechanically they may be different operations, I am more referring to what the end result is, or feels like, if that makes sense.

Not knowing how a CVT system works, I am trying to draw a parallel to the streetbike world that I am familiar with. :)

So is it possible to just do something simple like adjusting spring tension, maybe my adding spacers, to get it to engage a little "stronger"?
It is, so to speak. QSC sells stuff for that and is usually all you need for a Polaris clutch set up vs changing the clutches themselves. Usually guys do it because they get larger diameter tires which are harder to turn. Those tires are usually also heavier making them harder to turn. If they're only a little larger/heavier then the stock clutch set up may suffice. If they're a lot larger/heavier then.....

HOWEVER... most people find the stock clutch set up quite fine with stock size tires. The 570 clutch set up seems to be quite good. Stock it will pull the front wheels up from a stop. People seem very impressed with it's performance and power.

I think you'll find your new ride just fine.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
took it to Durhamtown yesterday. Had it on the mx track, woods, drag race track, etc... performed very well. Was as fast as I would dare to go in the woods. broke 60mph on long smooth sections. struggled to keep up with new 450 sport quads but it wasn't as far behind as i imagined. took jumps well. i did get stuck in the mud twice though, really thick soupy mud. the stock tires suck in that regard, need suggestions for better trail and mud tires.

·
Registered
944 Posts
bighorn 2s. Great tire and in the 12" rim size there's a weight difference from the Bighorn originals. Saves you HP.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bighorn 2s. Great tire and in the 12" rim size there's a weight difference from the Bighorn originals. Saves you HP.
stick with the stock 25 8x12 and 10x12?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Asking about tires is like asking about oil on any forum. Going to get a ton of answers. I love the ripsaws on my 850, but don't think I'd try them on a 570. I like the speed to much and they are super heavy. I can help you out with any clutching and more performance from it if needed or wanted. Changing the clutching components will change the way they engage, how much power they put to the ground in certain areas and a lot of other things. Some of it is like changing the clutch pack in a bike for one that doesn't slip as much or at all in a race application, some of it feels like changing sprockets on a dirt bike for better bottom end or top end. It's kind of everything in one on a Polaris ATV. Lot easier to explain it all in person than type out paragraph after paragraph. My number is 651-707-6706 if you want to give me a call and I can answer any clutching questions you have.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Asking about tires is like asking about oil on any forum. Going to get a ton of answers. I love the ripsaws on my 850, but don't think I'd try them on a 570. I like the speed to much and they are super heavy. I can help you out with any clutching and more performance from it if needed or wanted. Changing the clutching components will change the way they engage, how much power they put to the ground in certain areas and a lot of other things. Some of it is like changing the clutch pack in a bike for one that doesn't slip as much or at all in a race application, some of it feels like changing sprockets on a dirt bike for better bottom end or top end. It's kind of everything in one on a Polaris ATV. Lot easier to explain it all in person than type out paragraph after paragraph. My number is 651-707-6706 if you want to give me a call and I can answer any clutching questions you have.
Yeah, that makes sense. But I figure that there has to be a few "go to" tires for specific applications...

I think that at some point I will hit you up for a clutch kit. I don't intend to go serious mudding, but there are times that I will hit some messy stuff and the stock tires just don't cut it. I am thinking that I don't want to make the quad higher or slower, I don't want to make it so tall that it gets more tipsy in the turns or negatively affects the higher speed handling on the trails... But having some more bite when it gets sloppy would be good.

I don't want to loose any power by going to some massive heavy tire either. I want it to handle much like it is stock, but have more traction in mud, that's all.

The clutch appeals to me, because it would be nice to have a bit more snap down low and in the mid range... When I am not on the quad I am on my streetbike. Last time it was on the dyno we pulled 161hp and 92ft/lbs of torque at the wheel, so just about anything feels "slow" to me... But the power on the 570 is nice... I guess that I am just looking for some more immediate punch, like the transmission is more engaged with the throttle input, if that makes sense?

But above all, I want reliability to be as good as can be.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Figure out what tires you want to run, the we will get you clutched accordingly. Tire size and weight has the biggest effect on performance and clutching.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts