Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought my first Quad today. It is a used Polaris Sportsman 600 twin. The Quad seems to be in mint condition, everything works perfectly, garage kept, etc. Only thing is, throughout the day today, the quad randomly turned off twice. I was just riding along, and it just stopped completely. The quad fired right back up with no problems both times. Should I be concerned about this? Anything I should check? The Sportsman is a 2004, and it was snowing all day today. It was around 32 degrees outside, and I was using it to plow. The quad doesn't show any hesitation when accelerating or anything along those lines. And the cooling fan is working fine. I also checked the fluids and all seems well. Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do you have a keychain that could be hitting the gas tank and shutting it down?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
^^ no, what slider meant was that it is common if you turn your handelbars right, the keychain will catch on the gas cap and turn the ignition off. happens a lot without people even noticing it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check it on my next day off, Thanks for the help! This forum is great, I also figured out that I need to hit the saftey switch to get AWD to work in reverse too.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^^ no, what slider meant was that it is common if you turn your handelbars right, the keychain will catch on the gas cap and turn the ignition off. happens a lot without people even noticing it
Yeah, what he said lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I guess I have another question. The quad has a 3500lb. warn winch on it, and everytime I raise or lower my plow, the lights dim to almost nothing. Is there a way to upgrade the altenator in the machine or something? If so, What do I upgrade it with?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome to the site!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts