Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a new 2012 sportsman 550 eps in april 2013. it is painfully slow any suggestions

·
Registered
23 Posts
Probably want to talk to Ridinagain about a clutch kit. He sells them and has good knowledge about them. You could trade for an 850 or wait and see if a Sportsman 1000 comes out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry to sound like a smart ass, but buy an 850 lol. If you think it's painfully slow, there really isn't that much out there performance wise for these quads that's going to make you say "whoaaaa"! Even if you did hi-flo air filter, exhaust and tuning, your probably going to be poorer and not that much faster. I'm assuming your looking for more engine power?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm wondering if something is wrong with your bike? I have a 2013 550 and mine will get up to 55 mph and get there pretty quick. Now of course it's no 850, but nowhere near slow.

·
Registered
422 Posts
^^ I was thinking the same thing after I posted. Either OP has the need for speed or there's something wrong with the quad. My 570 gets up and goes pretty good for a 700lb bike too and will hit 70mph

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
234 Posts
What rpms are you getting at Wide Open throttle?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dude I have a 500HO and its fast enough for me lol I get er 63 mph and im a happy guy....Its not the speed that hurts its the hit u take when u fly off....:cowboy:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Trade it for a scrambler 1000.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Maybe somethings wrong with the bike, I can get to 100 kph pretty darn quick on my 550 with oversized tires and that's plenty fast for me. I was getting just over 100 kph with stock tires.
If your a junky, only thing to do is trade in on a larger cc bike..

I know some on this forum don't like to think *outside the box*
BUT I broke my 550 in like this;
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
and my mechanic says I have a very "peppy motor in there". Go figure!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Dude I have a 500HO and its fast enough for me lol I get er 63 mph and im a happy guy....Its not the speed that hurts its the hit u take when u fly off....:cowboy:
Same here!!! And im pushing 26" bearclaws on ITP's. Ive never felt "short" on power with my 500 I loose traction before power

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm new to riding so I'm probably describing my displeasure wrong. I have got the quad up to 57mph so far. If 57 is the top speed I'm fine with it I know it's not a sport quad but it takes forever to get up to 57. Is there anything I can do to make it quicker and give it more throttle response? I changed the filter to a K&N because mice chewed up the stock one. This seemed to give it a boost. There is no money to upgrade to the 850 I spent it all on the 550, I wish you could test drive before you buy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Besides the K&N, is the rest of the quad all stock? Like tires and wheels wise? If so, you may be having some clutch/belt issues.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Clutch kit is a must. Keep in mind that most of these utility quads are clutch pretty conservatively from the factory. They are trying to make the machine appeal to all sorts of riders from trail riders to the farmer who is using it to check his property.

I have a 800 that seemed to have plenty of motor. I put a K&N on it and a QSC muffler. Did nothing but change sound. Got a clutch kit from Adam at QSC. That's what made a world of a difference. You gotta get the power to the ground

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Did the mice also get into the clutch housing? ? ?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
As the others said, not much for performance mods or the 550. A clutch kit is about your only option. You could throw a fuel programmer on it too, but the gains are negligible on a stock 550.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts